Are you looking for effective & safe remedies for oily hair? Do you want to know how to get rid of greasy hair naturally at home? Recently, VKool.com made a writing of top 21 natural home remedies for oily hair that are easy and safe to apply. This writing is a collection of tips and recipes for treating greasy hair from reliable source. However, if you have any health problem or skin problem, please make sure that you will consult with your medical practitioner before following remedies for oily hair presented in this article.
Top 21 Home Remedies For Oily Hair That Are Easy To Follow
1. Daily Shampooing
If you have oily hair, the best way to remove excess oil is to shampoo daily. It has the effect of removing the oil on the hair and making the hair look nice and clean. Experts say that regular shampoo is a great way to reduce the amount of oil produced and the amount of oil on the hair and scalp. So washing your hair every day will help you avoid oily hair and oily skin. Here are some notes for you to remove oily hair:
- You should wash your hair carefully to remove all sebum otherwise your hair will easily absorb more oil and looked very dirty
- Use a shampoo for oily hair aside. Common type of hair needs shampoos that have a pH of about 4.5 to 6.7. However, oily hair needs a shampoo that has excess concentration above.
2. Treatment Immediately
Here are some notes for you to remove oily hair:
- If you do not have time to wash your wet hair because you're in a hurry, you can try a dry shampoo. You just dab a little talc on the scalp. You need to brush it off immediately. Talc that you apply to your scalp will prevent the oil that your body is preparing an impact on hair. Therefore, your hair will not look oily.
- You can also use cornstarch instead of powdered coal to apply to your hair.
- Remember to wash your hair once again.
- You can also use infant powder for scalp. Sprinkle it on the scalp and leave for about 5 minutes. Then carefully brush the hair. Powder will saturate all the excess oil effectively
- Wash your hair with warm water or cold water instead of hot water. However, it is best to rinse with cold water, so you will reduce the amount of oil produced.
- Use oil control shampoo hair if your hair falls into this category.
- Use oil treatment shampoo products derived specifically for the scalp. Note that you should not apply this oil on the body and roots of hair because they need natural oils.
- Remove excess oil from your hair by using oil blotting paper.
- Do not post or squeeze your hair into the scalp because this can cause oil be sticky from the scalp to the rest of the hair
- Only comb or brush hair when you need to style your hair. Comb and fingers can stimulate the sebaceous glands to extract more and more and make hair oilier
- Avoid using moisturizing shampoo products. These products are usually designed to avoid dry hair by providing more oil to the hair.
- Use a hair conditioner immediately after shampooing. Rinse the roots of hair close to the scalp, only balm for body and ends.
- Avoid headband as this will make the oil easier to stick to your skin and make your problem become more and more complicated.
- You need supplement vitamin B and zinc.
- You need supplement biotin – biotin is very important because the lack of biotin will directly lead to the production of oil. You can supplement biotin by food or directly through biotin capsules. Biotin is a vitamin form (many people call it as vitamin H).
- Perform a diet with high raw food level such as raw fish and foodstuffs. Avoid chocolate, dairy products, fried foods, sugar, starch and other types of shellfish.
- Avoid eating foods containing eggs because egg white contains high concentration of avidin – a protein that attaches itself to biotin and prevents biotin absorption into the body.
3. Use Nature Ingredients
Orange peel is a natural substance that works best for oily hair. You make your hair conditioner in the following way to reduce the amount of oil for hair:
- Lentils: Rinse with cold water several times until the water is clear. Give lentils into a glass and filled with water. Mark lentils in a cup about 30 minutes.
- Orange peel: You just use orange peel. You can retain or even eat the orange zone shucked. Now, put the orange peel into the pan. Pour a cup of water. Place on stove until boiling water for about 10 minutes before turning off the fire.
- Mixing this mixture and squeezing lentils to get juice. Next pick up orange peel and set aside. You do not need to peel orange; you just need the water from orange peel. Mix the two mixtures (lentils and orange juice) into a bowl. Mark them by spoon. You can keep this mixture in a container of shampoo or conditioner for convenience.
- Special formula: Bath normally, shampoo and rinse with water but instead of using a conditioner, you will use a mixture from lentils and orange peel juice instead. Unlike conditioner, you should not wash with water. You should keep damp on the scalp as possible.
- Leave hair to dry: Solution with lentils and orange peel not only remove oil from the scalp but also remain the fragrance for hair. You can use hair dryer to dry your hair, but using towels is the best.
4. Do Not Scratch Your Scalp
Here are some notes for you to remove oily hair:
- It is important to remember that you do not brush your hair when it is oily.
- Rubbing or scratching your scalp strongly will promote the sebaceous glands secrete excess oil on the scalp. So, never scratch the scalp. Experts recommend that you need to wash your hair by gently scratching your scalp. Scratching and massaging your scalp strongly makes the situation worse.
5. Healthy Diet
Here are some notes for you to remove oily hair:
- Maintaining a healthy diet is essential to remove excess oil from the hair.
- It is important to drink plenty of water to keep your body always enough water.
- You should avoid eating fatty and oily foods.
- Add healthy fats into your diet such as olive oil, nuts and fish
- It is important to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to keep your scalp healthy.
Learn more: 17 Foods Good For Hair Growth And Regrowth
6. Avoid Hair Styling Products
If your hair is oily, it is better not to apply or use any styling product that is available in the market. You need to remember:
- Never apply hair conditioner to your hair
- Do not use shampoo products that accumulate hair condition substances.
- If you need to use styling products, remember that it is only use it in ponytail.
- It is better to avoid brushing hair several times.
If you want to discover other home remedies for oily hair, keep reading!
7. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel oil is known to be one of effective remedies for oily hair. It brings amazing things for your hair and it helps completely remove oil from the hair. You can follow the following step to make this remedy
- Get a bottle of witch hazel oil. Take four drops of witch hazel oil mixed with 2 tablespoons water.
- Dab a cotton ball into the mixture and then apply the cotton ball onto the scalp.
- This method helps reduce the oil on the hair. Repeat 3 to 4 times a week or daily for better results.
8. Bath Soap
Occasionally using soap on the hair is said to be an effective way to remove excess oil from the scalp. You can follow the following step to make this remedy
- Try to use soap on the hair in the shower.
- Rub soap on the hair and scalp, and then use your hands to rub strongly to make foaming. Leave it for 2 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Only use soap on the hair once a week to remove excess oil. It can be harmful for your hair if used in long term.
9. Henna Powder
Henna powder is a component that works to keep hair shiny. It also has the ability to remove excess oil. You can follow the following step to make this remedy
- Mix 6 tablespoons of henna with 2 cups of water.
- Mix carefully to form a smooth mixture.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and leave until the mixture dries on the hair
- Rinse with water to remove lime oil.
Learn more: Total Hair Regrowth book
10. Vera Sap
One of the best remedies for oily hair is to use aloe sap. You can mix vera sap with any shampoo product to remove the oil from your hair. You can follow the following step to make this remedy
- In a soothing cup of shampoo mixed with a teaspoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of aloe vera sap that you take from a fresh aloe plant.
- Mix well and apply this mixture on a moderate amount to your oily hair, let it act on the hair for a few minutes then rinse thoroughly.
- You can store this shampoo in the refrigerator for about a week and use every day.
11. Egg Yolk
Egg yolk is said to be a good product that you can use on the hair as it works to strengthen the health of the hair and remove excess oil. Egg yolk is a home treatment method that has long intended to treat excess oil from the hair. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps:
- Take 2 egg yolks and then routed. In a mixture of egg yolks, you add a few drops of lemon juice and mix 1 again.
- Apply this mixture on wet hair and leave for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair to no sebum.
- Apply the egg yolk mixture to your hair 3 times a week to remove oily hair
12. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very effective for oily hair. Remember that only use diluted apple cider vinegar to your hair. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- Add 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar to a cup of water and stir up.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and rinse after a few minutes.
- Repeat this process at least 3 times a week to remove the problem of oily hair.
13. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very popular ingredient that is often found in remedies for oily hair. This remedy will help remove oils from the hair. It can be used in several different ways. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- You can use it by mixing baking soda with water only. Add a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of water and then wash it carefully with this mixture.
- You can also use baking soda with a regular shampoo and wash it carefully with it.
- Use 2 times a week to achieve good results.
14. Beer Dilution
Beer is said to be an effective method to treat dandruff hair. It has the effect of removing excess oil from the hair and makes hair more beautiful. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- Remember that you only use beer to hair thinning
- Mix beer with a glass of water
- Use it as a shampoo onto wet hair. Unchanged for 3 to 5 minutes
- Rinse with water
- Acidity of beer would have the effect of eliminating excess oil from the hair.
You will discover other natural remedies for oily hair by reading the next part of this writing
15. Henna And Olive Oil
To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- Add 3 tsp henna powder into a bowl and mix with an egg
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of olive oil into the mixture. Mix all ingredients.
- Add warm water to form a smooth mixture.
- Apply this mixture to your oily hair, smooth hair from roots to ends.
- Wrap your hair with a plastic bag and a towel and leave for 2 hours.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
16. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a very good product for hair care. It is known as one of best remedies for oily hair. Lemon juice is a proven approach that is proven to be an oily hair treatment. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- Extract lemon juice from a lemon.
- Mix lemon juice with one cup of water and add 3 teaspoons of honey.
- Stir the mixture to dissolve completely. Apply this mixture to your hair and leave for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Wash your hair with shampoo. Repeat this 3 times a week to achieve the best results.
Honey is also considered to be a very effective remedy for oily hair. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- Take 2 teaspoons of pure honey and then add egg yolk.
- Stir the mixture and let it melt in 30 minutes.
- Apply this mixture to your hair and massage the hair for a few minutes.
- Leave the mixture on the hair and scalp for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with a deep cleansing shampoo.
- Repeat this process 2 times a week to remove the oil from your hair.
Alcohol is an effective product that you can apply to your hair to treat the excessive oil on hair immediately. Most people prefer vodka, and it is considered an ideal material to enhance the health of the hair. This wine is capable of treating oily hair effectively. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps
- Add one cup vodka with 2 cups of water.
- Wash your hair with a mixture of vodka and leave for a few minutes. Rinse the hair. It will make your hair dry in a few minutes.
- You can also use this mixture as a spray to your hair to remove excess oil for a few minutes.
Tea contains tannic acid, one of the most important components that work to dry your hair. To make this remedy, you need to follow the following steps:
- All you need to do is to boil the tea leaves or tea powder in a glass of water.
- When warm water, you apply this mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse the hair to reduce the oil on the hair.
20. Olive Oil For Greasy Hair
To make this remedy, you will need to prepare:
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- A towel
- Step 1 – you put 2 tsp of warmed olive oil in the hair.
- Step 2 – you massage your scalp.
- Step 3 – you put a towel around your hair and then keep it at least 60 minutes but preferably overnight.
- Step 4 – you shampoo your hair by using a gentle shampoo. You do not apply too much shampoo, only a little at a time.
- Step 5 – you rinse and shampoo a second time
- Step 6 – you rinse well.
You do this remedy once a week for about one month. Next, you do this remedy regularly once per month. Your hair can be strong, light & shiny and it is no longer greasy.
21. Tomato Juice
Tomato is one of good ingredients found in common remedies for oily hair. To make this remedy, you will need to prepare:
- One ripe tomato
- A shower cap
- You take 1 ripe tomato and then you mash it to a pulp
- You squeeze the tomato juice from the pulp
- You add a small fuller’s earth into the tomato juice – this step will ensure that the juice from tomato doesn’t drip on application.
- You apply this tomato juice paste onto the hair & the scalp
- You wear a shower cap & leave it for about 30 minutes
- Next, after 30 minutes, you wash off this tomato juice on your scalp and hair by using cold water
- You massage your scalp to remove tomato juice completely – this will provide a good stimulation to your hair follicles.
To see all of our writings about hair care tips and remedies, go to our main Hair Care page. After reading the writing of top 21 natural home remedies for oily hair, hope that this writing is useful for you and helps you understand more about benefits of fruits and herbs in treating greasy hair. However, it is solely for the informational purpose, it is not intended to give medical advice. If you have any question, or you know other home remedies for oily hair, you can leave them below.