What woman does not want shiny, healthy and silky hair? In fact, hair dyes, blow dryers, straighteners, over-exposure to sun & chlorinated water are only a few of numerous factors that cause the loss of moisture and shine and make our hair look brittle, frizzy and dry. If you are looking for some home remedies for shiny hair, it is as easy as stepping into your kitchen. Sometimes it is fun to pamper yourself with natural hair treatments at the convenient of your own home instead of going out & buying something at local stores. The good thing about home remedies for shiny hair is that they are easy to prepare and make. They also are very cheap and you know precisely what you are putting into your hair. Recently, VKool.com made a writing of 13 at home remedies for shiny hair treatment. This writing is a collection of natural recipes and easy tips for shiny hair from reliable resources, studies on hair care, and hair care experts. Please make sure that you will consult with your medical practitioner before following natural remedies presented in this article.
Top 13 Home Remedies For Shiny Hair Are Revealed
1. Coconut Milk Or Coconut Oil
At a small village in the Philippines, people who live here have several tips for keep shinier hair. One of these tips is using coconut oil or coconut milk. To use coconut oil properly, you only need to massage it from your scalp down to your hair’s tip and then let it rest for about an hour. Coconut oil is an ideal solution for hair that is considered as a deep, daily hair moisturizer or a remedy for curing dandruff.
To get shiny hair, you need to provide the right nourishment to your hair by applying oil regularly. Coconut oil (unrefined and organic) is one of the best home remedies for shiny hair you can use. It can help restore moisture to your damaged and dry hair, and make it shiny and healthy.
Detailed steps to make this remedy:
- Step 1 – you apply a few drops of warm coconut oil on hair, from your scalp to the tip of your hair
- Step 2 – Massage your hair for about 5 minutes and then you wrap your hair in a towel or a shower cap for at least ½ hour
- Step 3 – Rinse your hair with the cool water, and then shampoo and condition as normal
You can add a few curry leaves (olive oil, castor oil, or almond oil) to 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil. Then, you heat it until warm. Wait for some minutes and then you massage this mixture gently onto your scalp and hair. Next, you cover your hair with a warm towel, and wait for about 30 minutes and wash your hair with a mild shampoo. You can use coconut oil 1 or 2 times a week depending on your hair condition.
Learn more: 31 Benefits Of Coconut Oil Supplements On Hair
Some people use beer to make their hair shiny. No kidding! I have used it several times to keep my hair shinier and I have to admit that beer is very good for hair. Beer contains hops that are flavoring agents but they are also amazing for your hair. In addition, hops contain silica that helps strengthen your hair and add luster to your hair.
Although you will not like the smell, it will work effectively for hair health. Besides, you will need to look for the brand of beer you choose to make sure that it is suitable for your hair. I usually use San Miguel Beer & Budweiser when I make this remedy for my hair. Simply, after clearing your hair with shampoo, you just need to pour it in the way your pour water onto your hair, and then, massage your scalp and rinse and condition as normal.
Learn more: 15 Homemade, Natural Hair Masks For Fine Hair
One of the easiest home remedies for shiny hair is using mayonnaise as a deep conditioner. Many people have used it and love the results they have gained from it. If you are suffering from dry or damaged hair, you should make this remedy because it will work wonders. Mayonnaise contains amino acids & antioxidants, which help strengthen your hair & give it a beautiful shine.
Ingredients you need to have: A jar of mayonnaise (any brand)
- Step 1 – Prep your hair by using the warm water to get it damp and nice, but not soaking wet.
- Step 2 – Scoop some teaspoons of mayonnaise out of the jar and then begin rubbing it throughout your hair like you use a conditioner. The amount of mayonnaise that you want to use actually depends on the thickness and length of your hair. You should feel free to lather on an amount of mayonnaise that will make you feel most comfortable with.
- Step 3 – You wrap your hair with a plastic bag, a shower cap or a plastic wrap to trap the heat inside. The heat will open the pores and then allow your treatment to penetrate strands further and as a result work better.
- Step 4 – Let this treatment sit on your hair for at least 15 minutes. In addition, you can allow mayonnaise to sit longer depending on levels of damage to your hair
- Step 5 – Wash the mayonnaise out
4. Black Tea
This next hair treatment for shiny hair will not only help you have glossy locks, but it will also help you deal with your shedding or hair loss. Black tea contains an amount of caffeine content that is proven to reduce the hormone that is associated with hair loss. In addition, this rinse with black tear may darken your hair; therefore, if you want to have lighter hair, this remedy may not be a great option for your hair.
Ingredients you need are 2 to 4 teabags of black tea
- Step 1 – add 2 or 4 tea bags to 2 cups of the boiled water
- Step 2 – let it steep for about some hours or even overnight
- Step 3 – take the tea and then you pour it on your hair after it is co-washed or cleansed
- Step 4 – let it stay on your hair for about 20-30 minutes. It is easiest to do this remedy in the shower
- Step 5 – quickly cover your hair with a plastic cap to prevent dripping
- Step 6 – rinse & style your hair as usual
Keep reading the next part of this writing to discover other home remedies for shiny hair treatment
Learn more: Beauty Benefits Of Drinking Green Tea Daily
5. Avocado & Olive Oil
You can enjoy avocado in your meals and use its leftovers for your hair. Avocado is a great source of good fats, which nourish and hydrate your scalp and hair. When you have color-treated hair, you should opt for sweet almond or jojoba oil instead of olive oil because it can lighten your hair.
All ingredients you will need:
- 1 ripe of avocado pitted, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsp of virgin olive oil substitute with sweet almond oil or jojoba oil for color-treated hair
- Step 1 – Use a small bowl and whisk mashed avocado with 2 tbsp of virgin olive oil until you see they are well combined
- Step 2 – Apply this hair mask on your damp hair, including the scalp & hair ends
- Step 3 -Tuck your hair in the shower cap
- Step 4 – After about 20 minutes, you rinse off your hair mask while massaging your scalp
- Step 5 – Shampoo as normal and enjoy your silky soft hair
Learn more: Health & Beauty Benefits Of Olive Oil
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very good for your hair treatments. It is known as a natural hair detangler for removing product build-up & smoothing and softening your hair. This hair rinse is more natural & safer than many other hair products that you can buy at stores.
All ingredients you will need are 1 part apple cider vinegar and 1 part water
- Step 1 – To revitalize your hair you need to mix the water and apple cider vinegar together
- Step 2 – After shampooing, you pour this mixture into your hair
- Step 3 – You should use a spray bottle, which works even better. This way will help spritz your hair with this mixture and then you massage it into your hair and scalp
- Step 4 – Let this mixture sit for some minutes before rinsing fully with the cool water. You do not need to use conditioner. The apple cider vinegar can leave your hair the feeling of smooth and soft
Learn more: Health & Beauty Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Honey is one of the best home remedies for shiny hair. It is a common ingredient in a lot of hair treatments. It is often used to add moisture, impart shine and soften your strands. Besides, honey is a natural and safe humectant, which draws in & retains moisture. In addition, honey has anti-bacterial properties; therefore, it will help to keep your scalp clean and healthy. If you would rather use a hair mask, mix honey with a few drops of olive oil to get a deep conditioning treatment
Ingredients: spray bottle, 2 cups of warm water and 2 tablespoons of honey
- Step 1 – mix about two tablespoons of honey with two cups of the warm water
- Step 2 – spray this mixture to your hair
- Step 3 – wait for some minutes and rinse off as normal
If you want to get more home remedies for shiny hair treatment, continue reading this writing
Learn more: 15 DIY Hair Recipes For Healthy Hair Fast
Using a gelatin hair treatment may sound a little crazy; however, it is actually an effective fortifying treatment. In case you have damaged or dry hair, you can only need to add an amount of protein to your tresses using this moisturizing hair mask. Apply it a few times you will start seeing or feeling the significant difference in your hair.
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 1 cup of warm water, 1 tablespoon of gelatin and a few drops of rosemary, lavender or lemon essential oil
- Step 1 – Combine 1 tablespoon gelatin with a cup of warm water
- Step 2 – Stir until completely melted
- Step 3 – Add one tablespoon of vinegar with a few drops of rosemary, lavender or lemon essential oil
- Step 4 – Mix well and then apply this mixture to your scalp and hair. Leave it on your hair for 10 minutes, and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Yogurt is another remedy in top 13 home remedies for shiny hair. This is a common ingredient in kitchen that is often used in beauty recipes. Yogurt has natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties because it has high lactic acid content.
Yogurt can help strengthen & moisturize your hair. It also helps soothe your skin on your scalp & calm any itchiness.
Everything you need to make this recipe is one container of plain yogurt.
- Step 1 – Brush out your hair well
- Step 2 – Take the yogurt & spread it throughout your hair
- Step 3 – Next, you take an old hair tie & put your hair into a bun or ponytail. You only need to leave it up or put a bag over it
- Step 4 – Leave it in about 20 to 30 minutes or until you see the yogurt has hardened
- Step 5 – Take a shower afterwards & shampoo or condition with a good brand
10. Rosemary & Lavender
An herbal hair rinse can help not only soften & strengthen your hair, but also helps smell heavenly. This rosemary and lavender recipe utilizes the advantages of rosemary and lavender to make hair become shinier. In addition, there are a lot of other herbs & blends that you can use to make different hair types.
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup of dried lavender
- 1 tsp of borax
- 3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Step 1 – Boil the water and put it in a large pot. Once you have reached a rolling boil, you can remove the pot from the stove
- Step 2 – Add the borax & apple cider vinegar
- Step 3 – Stir and add the lavender and rosemary
- Step 4 – Stir well and cover (until you see all the herbs are wet)
- Step 5 – Leave this pot to “steep” unheated for about 2 to 4 hours or longer
- Step 6 – After your liquid has obtained a caramel brownish color, you can strain the herbs from this liquid and you pour into a glass container
- Step 7 – Refrigerate until use
- Step 8 – After shampooing & conditioning, you pour the rinse all over your hair. You need to make sure to soak it throughout completely
- Step 9 – Finish off this process with a final rinse of the clean water or simply you can leave the rosemary rinse on your hair and then dry and style as normal
If you want to find out other home remedies for shiny hair, keep reading the next part of this writing.
11. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is one of the easiest home remedies for shiny hair in the planet. Using aloe vera gel for scalp and hair is particularly beneficial for women who have an itchy or dry scalp because aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties and it contains ingredients, which help protect against seborrhea. In addition, aloe vera is also known as a remedy for reducing dandruff, restoring hair’s natural sheen and combating frizz.
Everything you need is only aloe vera gel
- Step 1 – mix some teaspoons of aloe vera gel with the conditioner or shampoo you already use
- Step 2 – apply it on your scalp and hair
- Step 3 – wait for some minutes and rinse out as normal
Some shampoos in the market already include aloe vera extracts; however, if you want to make your own remedy, experts recommend that you should use herbal shampoo and use 1/2 amount of this shampoo with an amount of aloe vera gel. In addition, if you are suffering from hair loss or dandruff, aloe vera is a good option for you, especially if you do not have free time to massage your hair and scalp or do a scalp treatment.
Learn more: 16 Positive And Side Effects Of Aloe Vera Juice
Egg is one of the best solutions for dry hair. Besides, egg yolk is a great source of protein that helps strengthen and repair your hair by adding shine, moisture, and texture to it. If you want to get shinier hair, you can replace your current deep conditioner with egg. In addition, you can use egg alone or use with other ingredients.
- Step 1 – You can use 1 to 3 eggs depending on your hair’s length. You also need to separate the egg yolk from the whites. Then, you pour the yolk into the bowl & whisk until blended.
- Step 2 – Add 2 tablespoons of oil such as olive oil, coconut or baby oil. Then, whisk together until blended.
- Step 3 – Add some drops of essential oil in case you want the fragrance.
- Step 4 – Add cup of lukewarm water into this mixture and then whisk until mixed well. You should use water because it can help this mixture spread better in your scalp and hair.
- Step 5 – Wash your hair with shampoo and rinse out of your hair
- Step 6 – Put this egg mixture into your hair and then comb through
- Step 7 – Let it sit on for 5 to 10 minutes depending on how brittle and dry your hair is
- Step 8 – Rinse out with lukewarm water and style as normal
Note: You should never use water when you rinse out your hair because it can clot the egg and then be impossible to get around the hair.
13. Honey & Lemon Treatment For Hair
You only need to add 1/2 lemon juice to a bowl of honey, then, you stir it well and apply it to your hair. You can massage your scalp for about five minutes and leave it on your hair for about 15 minutes. Finally, you rinse your hair with cool water. You should use this remedy once a week to get glowing & radiant hair.
Now you have 13 different home remedies for shiny hair or silky hair. Most of these natural home treatments are easy to prepare and make. In addition, if you know other natural home remedies for shiny hair, please share them with us.
To see all of our home hair treatment tips, remedies and recipes, go to our main Hair Care page.
After reading my writing of 13 at home remedies for shiny hair treatment, I hope that this writing helps you understand more about benefits of natural herbs for hair and get more options for your hair treatment. However, this writing is solely for the informational purpose, so you need to contact a medical practitioner before applying these remedies. If you have any question, you can leave it below. Now are you ready to make the significant difference with your hair?