Also called as tendinitis, Achilles tendonitis is an Achilles tendon injury which has the ability to attach the calf muscles at your lower leg to the heel. Tendonitis caused due to overuse commonly occurs in middle-aged and younger people who take part in sports such as gymnastics, running, football, dance, softball, baseball, volleyball, basketball, and tennis. It can affect to both amateur and professional athletes. Achilles tendonitis occurs when you suddenly increase the intensity or amount of physical activity, do not stretch properly before doing exercise, run on a hard surface and do much jumping. Besides, when you wear high heels for a long time and do not wear shoes with proper support, it may also cause Achilles tendonitis. Also, there are common factors increasing the risk of this condition, which include high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, and having an intake of certain kinds of antibiotics. In this writing about home remedies for Achilles tendonitis, VKool page will show you 13 natural ways to treat Achilles tendonitis effectively at home.
Top 13 Natural Home Remedies For Achilles Tendonitis You Should Know
To treat this problem effectively, you firstly know main symptoms of Achilles tendonitis. The feeling of pain above your heel and along your leg back, particularly when you walk or run, is its main sign. You can suffer from more severe pain episodes after sprinting, prolonged running, and stair climbing. Plus, it also makes you experience other symptoms such as stiff muscles, tenderness and swelling when you touch your affected area or difficulties in walking or standing. Follow 13 natural ways below to find the most effective way to treat Achilles tendonittis for you!
1. Elastic Bandages Or Warm Wraps
The first of top 13 home remedies for Achilles tendonitis is to use warm wraps or elastic, compressive bandages for reducing the stress put on your affected muscles. This will ease pain and swelling as well as accelerate the treatment process. You may easily find elastic bandages or warm wraps available in the market.
- You simply use an elastic compression or bandage to wrap your feet and lower leg. You should try the best to elevate your leg for reducing blood flow to your affected area.
- Wrap it and keep in place for several days or till the soreness and swelling are relieved.
- Remember not to wrap it too tightly, causing poor circulation. You have to loosen the wrap as soon as you feel more pain or have other symptoms.
Acupuncture is another good remedy for Achilles tendonitis. A study in 2013 indicated that acupuncture may aid in easing pain and improving activity in patients suffering from chronic Achilles tendonitis, compared to doing eccentric exercises. In addition, acupuncture also has the ability to increase the flow of blood and the saturation of oxygen to your Achilles' tendon, thus relieving swelling and pain.
Therefore, you should see an acupuncture expert who has experience in treating Achilles tendonitis to help you deal with this condition.
3. Vitamin E
Being a fat-soluble antioxidant, vitamin E is able to relieve pain and inflammation by removing free radicals which may contribute to causing Achilles tendonitis. Besides, vitamin E also aid in improving circulatory function, which, in turn, ease swelling as well as accelerate the treatment process.
- You just take a bit of vitamin E oil and then use it to massage your affected tendon for 2 or 3 times during your day until you do not feel pain anymore.
- Also, you'd better consume more healthy foods high in vitamin E or take some vitamin E tablets, but only after you have your doctor's advice, to assist your body in recovering quickly.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can use apple cider vinegar as a natural way to help you keep Achilles tendonitis at bay.
Thanks to the alkalizing and anti-inflammatory properties content in it, apple cider vinegar becomes another of natural home remedies for Achilles tendonitis. It is capable of reducing inflammation and pain.
- Now, you add a cup of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in hot water contained in a small tub.
- You soak your affected leg directly in the apple cider vinegar water for 27 to 30 minutes.
- Do not forget to apply this once a day till all the symptoms of Achilles tendonitis disappear completely.
- Also, you can combine 1 or 2 teaspoons of this apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of raw honey and then dilute this paste with a glass of water. You drink it twice every day to have the expected results.
Ginger is very effective in treating inflammation-related conditions and reducing pain. This herb, in fact, is comprised of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties helping to relieve inflammation, pain, and swelling. Additionally, it will also improve circulation to your affected area.
- To prepare the ginger tea, you just simmer a tablespoon of thin ginger slices in 1½ cups of clean water for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Next, you strain the ginger tea and add a bit of honey to make it sweeter.
- You drink the ginger tea 2 or 3 cups of this ginger tea every day.
- Another choice is to have an intake of ginger supplement or massage your affected leg with a bit of ginger oil several times daily. Plus, you should also include ginger in each of your daily meals as kind of home remedies for Achilles tendonitis.
Turmeric is also a natural treatment for Achilles tendonitis. This herb has a chemical compound named curcumin. Curcumin is known as an anti-inflammatory which will effectively ease swelling and pain. Here is one of the simple home remedies for Achilles tendonitis with turmeric, which you can apply:
- At first, you put 1 teaspoon of powdered turmeric in a cup of milk.
- Then you allow this mixture to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- You add a bit of honey and consume this turmeric milk 2 times on a daily basis to promote a quick healing.
- Also, you take some curcumin tablets after you see a doctor.
7. Epsom Salt
You can also use Epsom salt to aid in treating Achilles tendonitis effectively. The magnesium contained in Epsom salt will stimulate the healing of injured and sore muscles. Plus, it also assists in relaxing your muscles as well as easing swelling and pain.
- Firstly, you put half a cup of Epsom salt in a tub having full of lukewarm water.
- You stir well to dissolve the salt in the water.
- Now, you soak your affected leg in the lukewarm water and relax for about 27 to 30 minutes.
- Do not forget to repeat this 2 or 3 times weekly within a few weeks.
Learn more: Ways On How To Use Epsom Salt For Acne Treatment
Keep following this writing about home remedies for Achilles tendonitis to get more information!
8. Castor Oil
Applying castor oil also help you to reduce the Achilles tendonitis symptoms. This oil, in fact, is loaded with ricinoleic acid which is an anti-inflammatory agent. It owns capsaicin, dual anti-inflammatory and pro-inflammatory properties, helping a lot to treat Achilles tendonitis.
Simply apply a bit of castor oil topically to your affected area 2 or 3 times during your day. This solution will be beneficial in relieving pain and minimizing inflammation caused by the tendonitis.
Read more: Benefits Of Castor Oil For Hair And Skin
If you are finding some natural home remedies for Achilles tendonitis, massage therapy is one of the best choices. A gentle massage therapy is very useful for increasing circulation, relaxing your muscles, and reducing stiffness and swelling. You can use mustard, olive, coconut or sesame oil for massaging.
- To do it, you slightly heat any of the above oils.
- Then you massage gently the lower part of the heel and feet by using the fingertips for 12 to 15 minutes.
- You can repeat this therapy several times a day until the pain disappears completely.
10. Cold Compress
A cold compress is another of simple home remedies for Achilles tendonitis. It has the ability to ease swelling and pain, 2 main Achilles tendonitis symptoms. In addition, it will also aid in relaxing your affected muscles.
- You simply use a thin towel to wrap some ice cubes and then tie it securely.
- Then you apply this ice pack directly to your affected leg for 12 to 15 minutes.
- You should reapply this process several times daily as you need. You may also apply a frozen pea bag to instead.
Note: Avoid applying ice cubes directly on your skin because it can lead to frostbite.
11. Stop Smoking
Smoking is known as a major factor that contributes to leading to poor circulation. Therefore, if you are a patient experiencing Achilles tendonitis, you should give up smoking in order to significantly accelerate the healing process and also avoiding more serious problems. It may be hard to quit smoking, but you should think about the effect of this bad habit on your health and then make a right decision to protect your health from it.
This is one of the simplest home remedies for Achilles tendonitis. It is essential to warm up the body, even before you have a normal day of work and commuting, for keeping those muscles active and healthy, which, in turn, keeps unexpected stresses or strains on delicate parts of your body (including the Achilles’ tendon). You just have a stretch session 7 to 10 minutes for 1 or 2 times daily and you will make your muscles more flexible and protect your body from numerous health concerns.
13. Resting Your Affected Leg
Overuse is the main the reason causing Achilles tendon injuries. Hence, having a proper rest is a helpful self-care technique for easing pain due to Achilles tendonitis. You just give the Achilles tendon a short rest and avoid doing activities such as running, climbing stairs, and even walking too much. Experts suggest that you should switch to go swimming.
Home Remedies For Achilles Tendonitis – Additional Tips
You should remember some additional tips below when applying any of home remedies for Achilles tendonitis above:
- When you recover from Achilles tendonitis, do not forget to increase the activity level gradually.
- Avoid doing activities which put excessive stress directly on the tendons, such as climbing stairs or running on hills.
- You should wear shoes providing adequate cushioning for the heels while you do exercise.
- Use new and well-cushioned shoes to replace worn-out shoes.
- You should do exercises to make the calf muscles strengthen.
- Avoid wearing high heels because it has a tendency to increase the chance of Achilles tendonitis.
- In serious cases, you have to consult your doctor immediately.
Related article: Home Remedies For Tendonitis Of The Knee, Wrist, & Other Parts
You have just read 13 natural home remedies for Achilles tendonitis. Let try applying any of them and see an improvement in your condition. Also, share with us if you have other home remedies for this condition. In order get more homemade treatments for various health conditions, access our main Home remedies page!