Mastitis is an infection of the breast problem affecting breastfeeding women. Some symptoms of mastitis conclude swelling, inflammation, breast pain, redness, warmth or tenderness to the touch. Other symptoms are chills and fever. There are several home remedies to reduce mastitis in women. If the problem makes breastfeeding painful and persists for several weeks, consult your doctor immediately. Do you want to know which home remedy will help you treat mastitis? If your answer is “Yes”, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 10 home remedies for mastitis in women. The writing is collected from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Natural Home Remedies For Mastitis In Women Are Revealed
Here are 10 best home remedies you are looking for:
This remedy may be one of the simplest and easiest home remedies for mastitis in women. This will help relieve swelling as well as unblock the plugged milk ducts. You had better massage from your outer breast toward the nipple in small circles, applying more pressure on the troubled area. For best results, you can massage as follows.
- Prepare a massage oil by mixing wheat germ and apricot oil in equal amounts. Using upward strokes, gently massage your breast. It is suggested to follow this a few times every day.
- Another option is to mix camphor oil (a few drops) in olive oil (2 tablespoons) and then use it to massage the breasts several times day.
Note: Before breastfeeding your baby, you must clean the nipples with warm water.
Both cold and hot compresses are effective for treating mastitis in women. A hot compress helps improve blood circulation, clear blockage and aid in milk flow while a cold compress can help relieve pain as well as reduce swelling. The things you need to do:
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel to make a cold compress.
- Wrap a hot water bottle in a thin towel to prepare a hot compress.
- Then put the hot compress on your infected breast for about 15 minutes.
- Next to apply the cold compress for about 5 minutes.
You should repeat this cycle about 2 or 3 times. It is recommended to follow this remedy as needed.
Cabbage leaves are considered as one of the soothing natural home remedies for mastitis in women. They help reduce swelling and inflammation due to their sulfur compounds. In addition, they can also provide nursing mothers relief from clogged ducts and engorgement. For optimal results, you can use the leaves as follows.
- Chill a few leaves of cabbage in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Then place a cold cabbage leaf on your infected breast.
- When the cabbage leaf reaches room temperature, you replace it with a new cold one.
It is suggested to repeat this a few times every day until you remove the infection completely.
One of the other good & natural home remedies for mastitis is using garlic because of its natural antibiotic properties. Especially, garlic helps fight the bacteria causing the infection. Plus, it promotes quick recovery and boosts the immune system as well. What you need to do:
- Eat two raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach. You can also eat a few more all the day. If you do not like garlic, you can mix it with plain water or orange juice. You had better follow every day for a week.
- Another choice is to use garlic supplements, but only after asking your doctor.
Learn more: Health Advantages Of Garlic To The Human Body
This herb is also one of the effective home remedies for mastitis in women. It bolsters your immune system in order to help the body fight off infections. It also contains antimicrobial, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory benefits. For optimal results, you can use it as following ways.
- Rub the tincture of echinacea root on your infected area about 4 or 5 times a day. Before feeding your baby, you must wash the area thoroughly with warm water.
- Another method is to add the tincture (3 or 4 drops) to one glass of water. You can consume it about 3 or 4 times daily for not more than one week.
Note: You should avoid long-term use of the herb.
One of the excellent home remedies for mastitis in women is using apple cider vinegar. Its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help fight infection, reduce inflammation and prevent it from spreading. In addition, it also offers an added energy boost. This vinegar is used to cure mastitis as follows.
- Mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts warm water. Next, apply this mixture on the infected area using a cotton ball. Wait it to sit for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. It is suggested to follow at least two times a day until the infection clears.
- Another choice is to mix raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon) and a little honey in one cup of water. You should enjoy it three times every day for one to two weeks.
According to Ayurveda, fenugreek helps treat breast infection as well as stimulates the milk-producing glands. In addition, its flavonoids agent can help reduce infections and inflammation. For desirable results, you need to do as follows.
- Soak fenugreek seeds (4 tablespoons) in water overnight. The following morning, you grind this soaked seeds into a paste. Next to place this paste on a clean cloth and then warm it slightly in the microwave. After that, you use it as a warm compress on your affected area. You had better follow this remedy two times daily for about 1 to 2 weeks.
- Alternatively, you can also enjoy a cup of fenugreek tea at least two times daily until you obtain positive results.
Keep reading this writing to discover other home remedies for mastitis in women.
Aloe vera contains natural pain-relieving and healing powers properties which can help decrease many of the discomforts of breast infection. In addition, it also helps heal infected skin and repair damaged skin tissue as well. For instant effects, you can use it as follows.
- Take the gel of an aloe vera leaf.
- Next to rub this fresh gel on your affected area.
- Let it dry on its own.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and then pat dry with a soft towel.
It is suggested to follow a few times daily for a few days.
Note: Before breastfeeding your baby, you must rinse the aloe vera off your breast.
Calendula can bring relief from swelling and pain, two of the most common symptoms of breast infection. Furthermore, its antibacterial properties also help remove the bacteria causing the infection. For positive results, calendula is used as follows.
- Prepare a paste by mixing using calendula flowers and comfrey leaves in equal amounts. Slightly warm this solution before applying it to your inflamed breast. Allow it on for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. It is suggested to repeat this treatment about 3 or 4 times every day.
- Another option is to rub a calendula ointment over the infected breast a few times a day.
Note: Before feeding your baby, make sure to clean the breast with lukewarm water.
One of the simplest home remedies for mastitis in women is eating foods rich in vitamin C. Especially, vitamin C helps heal damaged skin tissue as well as fight breast infection. In addition, this vitamin helps speed up recovery and boosts your immune system as well. Some kinds of foods rich in vitamin C include oranges, lemons, kiwis, limes, guavas, strawberries, kale, papaya, mustard greens, parsley and broccoli. Alternatively, you can also use vitamin C supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing in order to avoid friction against the nipples.
- To decrease the risk of mastitis, keep the nipple area dry and clean between feedings.
- During breastfeeding, make sure the baby properly latches onto the breast.
- Nursing mothers should get proper rest as well as sleep to reduce the risk of infection.
- Drink plenty of fluids to maintain your body hydrated and hold the milk flow steady.
- Do not allow your baby to use your breast as a pacifier.
- Avoid stress to prevent complications.
- If you use nursing pads, you should replace them frequently to ensure they are clean and dry.
To get more information related to effective home remedies for health problems, go to our main Home Remedies page. You should try these effective home remedies right away and be relieved of mastitis. You had better use above remedies for at least one or two months to receive positive results. After studying the writing of top 10 natural home remedies for mastitis in women, hope that this article will help you find out the best solution to treat mastitis fast and effectively. However, the writing is solely for the informational purpose, so you need to get advice from your doctor before applying any home remedy. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible.
Related articles on breast problems: