Formation of ear wax is natural and also has the purpose that is a part of the defense mechanisms of the body. Ear wax not only traps dust along with other foreign particles but also slows down the development of bacteria. Therefore, you should not get worried at all about ear wax which is formed in your ears. The earwax is secreted by glands that are situated in your skin lining the outer half of your ear canals. The earwax can prevent damage to the inner ear parts like the eardrum by trapping dirt and other foreign particles. In fact, there is a natural process to remove this ear wax. The small amount of it regularly comes to the outer ear and often falls out on its own. Sometimes it is washed away and a new wax will be secreted to replace it. Therefore, removal of ear wax as a habit should be avoided. Nevertheless, some people feel that their ears always are blocked by ear wax. This can be sometimes due to the overproduction of wax or when the ear wax is not cleaned off naturally with a proper way. You should only try to remove the ear wax when you have some symptoms such as the feeling of fullness in an ear, an earache, and decreased hearing because of blocked ear.
In this writing, VKool.com will introduce to you the effective and natural home remedies for ear wax removal in adults without any side effect. This article listed the best treatments to get rid of ear wax from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Natural Home Remedies For Ear Wax Removal In Adults
1. Hydrogen Peroxide With Water
Although it sounds like a chemical, hydrogen peroxide is really a good natural substance. In fact, hydrogen peroxide is simply water with a little extra oxygen. Organisms, which mean living creatures, will naturally produce H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide by a respiratory burst in their immune response to combat infections. Nevertheless, the hydrogen peroxide which you will purchase from the store is produced by a chemical reaction occurring when compressed air is gone through an aqueous solution. And now, hydrogen peroxide can be also used as one of the effective remedies for ear wax removal. In addition to softening the ear wax, it is also a good ear disinfectant and can protect you away from any infection related to ears.
- ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide (3%)
- ¼ cup of water
- A cotton ball
- Firstly, you mix water and hydrogen peroxide together.
- Then, you soak the cotton ball into this solution.
- Next, you tilt the head sideways with a blocked ear upwards.
- After that, you pour the solution into this ear with hardened wax and squeeze the cotton ball.
- Then, you sit in the same posture for some time.
- Now, you tilt the head with the opposite direction and you wait for a few minutes so that this solution can drain off your ear.
Read more: The Book of Stop The Ringing
2. Salt And Warm Water
Because earwax often hardens, it cannot fall out on its own. However, soft wax can fall off automatically. Hence, almost all the natural home remedies for ear wax removal lay stress on some ingredients which can soften the wax making it easier in order to bring it out the outside of your ear. In fact, saline water can do the same, which can soften the wax so that it comes to the surface of your ear easily and falls out.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of warm water
- A cotton ball
- Firstly, you add salt into the warm water.
- Then, you mix them properly till salt is dissolved in the water.
- Next, you tilt the head in one side and sit straight. You should tilt the head in a manner which can keep the blocked ear upwards and towards the roof.
- After that, you soak the cotton ball into the saline solution.
- Now, you take it out and pour several drops into your ear while still squeezing the cotton ball.
- You should keep your head tilted for some time. This water will go into your ear deeply to make the wax softer.
- After a few minutes, you tilt your head towards other side, which bring your blocked ear downwards and keep sitting in this posture for another few minutes.
- Finally, the softened earwax will come out of your ear with the saline water.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil, which is available in grocery stores as well as in your kitchen can be used to soften the wax and is one of the natural home remedies for ear wax removal. According to some laboratory tests, virgin olive oil also has strong bactericidal properties. Hence, you need not worry about any infection which may follow.
- A few drops of olive oil
- A cotton ball
- Firstly, you lie down in one side, in a way which your ear with wax stays towards the ceiling.
- Then, you soak the cotton ball into this oil.
- Next, you pour several drops into your ear.
- You should keep lying in the same posture for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you get up and the sit down while you still hold the oiled ear with a towel.
- Then, you keep your ear downwards while you sit so that the oil can drain off your ear.
- If the wax is hardened a lot, you need to repeat the same process daily for about 1 to 2 weeks.
Read more: Advantages and uses of olive oil
4. Mineral Oil Or Baby Oil With Rubbing Alcohol
In fact, baby oil is a mineral oil that is added fragrance. Therefore, you can also replace baby oil with mineral oil. These oils have a very effective lubricating and moisturizing agent, which can soften the wax in an effective way.
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of mineral oil or baby oil
- A cotton ball
- A clean towel
- ¼ to ½ cup of warm water
- A bulb syringe
- A few drops of rubbing alcohol
- At first, you soak the cotton ball into the oil.
- Then, you tilt the head in a manner that keep the affected ear upwards.
- Then, you pour 2 to 3 drops of this oil into your ear by using the cotton ball.
- Next, you keep the head tilted for a few minutes so that this oil can go deep down until the wax.
- Now, you place the towel over the oiled ear.
- You should hold the towel on your ear with your hand and tilt the head towards in the other side in order that the affected ear can be brought downwards.
- Now, you keep this posture for some time so that this oil can drain off onto the towel.
- Then, you fill your bulb syringe with warm water and you pour a little of it into the ear.
- You should not insert the syringe inside the ear. Instead, you should press it gently near your ear so that the warm water can go inside.
- Now, you turn the head downwards to allow the water to drain off your ear.
- Next, you dry out your ear with the clean towel.
- Finally, you put rubbing alcohol into your ear.
Learn more: Advantages and uses of baby oil for skin care
5. Coconut Oil
Another remedy in the list of top 10 natural home remedies for ear wax removal in adults that you should try is to use coconut oil. The medium-chain fatty acids in this oil are like sebum that seems harmless to use it in the ears. In addition, coconut oil also contains a natural anti-microbial agent that can help to minimize the risk of the ears getting infected. It can actually kill many harmful microorganisms that can lead to the buildup of earwax.
- A few drops of virgin coconut oil
- A dropper
- Firstly, you fill the dropper with this oil.
- Then, you tilt the head in one side and put this oil into the ear.
- Now, you stay in this posture for a few minutes.
- Finally, you tilt your head towards another side so that this oil can drain off.
6. Glycerin With Rubbing Alcohol
Glycerin is one of other natural and safe home remedies for ear wax removal thanks to its lubricating and moisturizing properties. Although you can use the undiluted glycerin to put into your ears, it will be better for you to dilute it with a little water because of its viscosity. Water will make glycerin thinner so that it can easily go deep down in order to soften the earwax.
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of glycerin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of water
- A dropper
- A few drops of rubbing alcohol
- At first, you mix glycerin with water together.
- Then, you pour this mixture into the dropper.
- Next, you tilt the head and pour several drops into the ear.
- Now, you stay in the same posture for a few minutes.
- After that, you tilt your head in the opposite side and allow the solution to drain off.
- Then, you pat it dry with a clean cloth.
- Finally, you put rubbing alcohol into your ear to make it dry completely.
There are a lot of other natural home remedies for ear wax removal presented in the next part of this writing, so keep reading it if you want to discover more!
7. Garlic With Mustard Oil Or Sesame Oil
If your ear is a blockage because of earwax and aching, you can use garlic oil as a useful remedy in the list of top 10 natural home remedies for ear wax removal in adults. Garlic is a good natural antibiotic thanks to its component of allicin. Allicin, which is an excellent anti-microbial agent, can fight off any infection in your middle ear or inner ear to help you to get rid of the pain. `
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of mustard or sesame oil
- A cotton ball
- Firstly, you place the oil in a small pan.
- Then, you crush the cloves of garlic and add them to the oil.
- Now, you heat the oil until the garlic cloves are blackened.
- After that, you put off the heat and let this oil cool down. You should not put hot or very warm oil or liquid into the ears because this can lead to vertigo or some other complications of your ear.
- Next, you remove the garlic pieces from this oil.
- Now, you dip the cotton ball into this oil.
- Then, you pour several drops of this oil into the ear after tilting the head sideway.
- You can also rub this oil around the ear to remove the pain.
- You should stay in this posture for some time.
- Finally, you tilt your head in the opposite side and let the oil drain off.
- You should do this remedy before going to bed at night for better results.
8. Warm Water
If you suffer from the recurring problem of the wax buildup, it cannot be possible to meet the doctor in such short terms. In such case, you can use warm water as one of the effective home remedies for ear wax removal at home. Warm water can help to soften this wax and remove all the other oils, dust, or dirt, etc. that you can have used to eliminate wax from your ears. In fact, it is better for you to rinse the ears with lukewarm water after 1 to 2 days after you apply any oil or other wax softeners to your ear.
- A rubber-bulb syringe
- A little warm water
- When the wax is softened, usually after 1 to 2 days after you have applied the oils or the other wax softeners, you take a little warm water and pour it into the rubber-bulb syringe.
- Then, you squirt this water gently into the ear canal. You keep the head tilted so that this water can go inside.
- After a few seconds, you tilt the head towards another side so that the water can drain off out of the ear.
- Finally, you dry your ear thoroughly by using a clean towel.
9. Mullein Fresh Edible Flower, Garlic Cloves, And Olive Oil
Herbalists have traditionally used mullein herb for various diseases that include ear infection and deafness. In fact, mullein herb has excellent emollient properties, which can soften the deep wax in your ears and remove the blockage to resolve this decreased-hearing problem. If you are suffering from ear pain because of infections as the result of earwax buildup, mullein plant will come to as your rescue. In addition, it also contains excellent antibacterial, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Here is a way to make mullein oil as one of other home remedies for ear wax removal. The following recipe also includes garlic to increase the advantages of its anti-bacterial properties. However, you can leave the garlic and create mullein oil that uses just the mullein flowers.
- ¼ cup of mullein fresh edible flower
- 3 garlic cloves
- A little olive oil
- A small glass jar with a lid
- A cheesecloth
- Firstly, you cut the garlic into small pieces.
- Then, you place the garlic pieces and the mullein flowers into the jar.
- Next, you pour olive oil over these flowers.
- After that, you cover the jar with the cheesecloth to allow the moisture to escape.
- Now, you keep this jar under the sun for about 10 to 12 days.
- You may also heat the oil over low heat for 4-5 hours instead of keeping it in the sun.
- After that, you strain this oil and store it into a bottle with dropper and put it into the refrigerator.
- When using, you warm this oil first by placing the bottle into a bowl of very hot water for some time.
- Then, you pour about 2 to 3 drops of mullein oil into your ear.
- You should repeat the remedy for about 2 to 3 times per day.
Precaution: If you see liquid oozing from the ear or if you think that your eardrum can have got perforated, you should not use this remedy or any other oil. Instead, you have to consult your doctor immediately because using any solution or oil in such a condition may damage the important parts of your ears.
Sometimes your ear can pain, itch, and feeling fullness because of ear wax. In such case, if you are finding some natural home remedies for ear wax removal, you should not skip the vinegar. In fact, white vinegar will not only soften the wax but also balance the pH level in your ears and reduce the symptoms of irritation. Nevertheless, you do not use vinegar alone; instead, you have to mix it with hydrogen peroxide and water before pouring it into your ears.
- 1 part of vinegar
- 1 part of water
- 2 parts of hydrogen peroxide
- A cotton ball
- Firstly, you mix vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and water to make a wax-softening solution.
- Then, you tilt the head sideway.
- Next, you dip the cotton ball into this solution and pour a few drops into your ear.
- Now, you stay in the same posture for some time.
- Finally, you tilt your head towards another side so that this solution can drain off.
- You should repeat this remedy for about 1 to 2 times per week.
If you want to know more about natural, home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the article of top 10 natural home remedies for ear wax removal, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to get rid of ear wax quickly and easily. Nevertheless, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for ear wax removal in adults, please leave them below.
Related articles on ear problems:
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How to treat nasal congestion without medication naturally
- Top 18 health benefits of getting up early in the morning are revealed
- How to treat fatigue naturally and get your energy back – 14 tips
- 14 Tips On How To Fix Bow Legs Naturally Without Surgery
- 6 Ways Of The Best Green Tea For Acid Reflux & Heartburn Relief
- List of best lycopene rich foods – top 13 choices
- Top 15 Best Choices On List Of Oxygen Rich Foods
- How to prevent psoriasis outbreaks with diet – 7 diet tips