Healthy scalp shows healthy hair. But, keeping the scalp healthy without any troubles is somewhat little bit harder. Hence, whenever you use the olive oil on the hair then it’ll be an easy way to maintain the scalp healthy. Olive oil is gained by pressing the whole olives which can be extensively used in medicines, cooking, hair care products, etc. Olive oil contains anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that combat against the common scalp as well as hair problems like head lice, dandruff, etc. It acts as one natural moisturizer as it applied on your scalp. Plus, it moisturizers your scalp and decreases the appearance of dandruff by inhibiting the flaky and dry scalp. Moreover, it has vitamin E (super moisturizing property) helping to moisture your hair and scalp. Here are 16 useful ways to use olive oil for scalp treatment that are collected by Vkool.com from reliable sources. Keep reading this post to learn these uses of olive oil for scalp treatment in more detail!
Olive Oil For Scalp Treatment: 16 Best Uses That Work
1. Warm Olive Oil Massage For Scalp Treatment
[bctt tweet=”Olive oil helps so much in protecting your scalp and making it healthy.”]The warm olive oil massage is used to treat some scalp problems like itchy scalp, dry scalp, flaky scalp, itchy scalp and dandruff, dry scalp and dandruff, scalp psoriasis, scalp fungus, hair growth, scalp eczema, dry itchy and flaky scalp, itchy and dry scalp dandruff, scalp dandruff. Here are detailed guides to make it:
- Olive oil, when heated gives deep conditioning for your hair and that lastly results in healthier plus beautiful problem free scalp that in turn assists for perfect hair growth.
- First of all, take olive oil (1/2 – 1 cup) and next warm it either in the stove or microwave for few seconds till the oil gets warm.
- Then, remove this from the heat and leave it to cool for some seconds to make sure that this oil is not too hot in order to apply it on the scalp.
- Later apply this oil to the hair by creating it as parts but focus more on the scalp.
- Keep it some time to saturate accurately and massage your hair and scalp with your finger tips.
- Now comb your hair and then cover it with a shower cap or towel.
- Allow it to sit for around 20 – 40 minutes or entire night and after that rinse it off using shampoo and conditioner.
- This process works as barrier on the scalp to inhibit it from losing moisture and aids to get rid of the dead skin cells to inhibit many scalp and hair problems.
- Continue doing the process once per week or at any time you cleanse the hair to remove the dry scalp problem.
2. Olive Oil For Scalp Treatment
Here is the recipe that explains you on how to use olive oil for scalp treatment:
- Take enough amount of this oil (as per your hair length).
- Apply it on the hair, staring from your hair roots and next massage it towards entire hair and scalp.
- Massage for few minutes till the oil is accurately saturated all over your hair.
- Cover your hair using a towel or shower cap and to maximize the advantages of olive oil, stay under your dryer for around 15 – 20 minutes (to add heat helping for better absorption of this oil).
- Leave it for about 5 – 10 minutes and afterwards rinse it off using water followed by shampoo.
- Or simply, you may use the products containing olive oil as one of the major ingredient in it like from conditioners, shampoos to hairsprays, etc.
3. Olive Oil With Coconut Oil
Here are easy steps to use olive oil for scalp treatment:
- Take coconut oil and olive oil in 1:1 ratio i.e. one tablespoon of olive oil combined with one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Stir both these oil as they combine properly.
- Now apply it on the hair and scalp by massaging gently on the scalp.
- Leave it to stay on your hair for around 30 – 40 minutes and after that rinse it off using water and shampoo.
Learn more: 9 Recipes To Make Homemade Coconut Oil Shampoo
4. Olive Oil On Scalp For Entire Night
This oil on scalp for entire night will be very useful treatment that helps to inhibit the dryness, dandruff and itchiness on the scalp. Here are detailed instructions to use olive oil for scalp:
- Take enough quantity of olive oil and next apply it on your scalp.
- Massage it gently for some minutes and cover the hair using a towel or plastic shower cap.
- Leave it off for entire night and later in the next morning, wash it out using shampoo.
- Do this same process of applying oil to the hair continuously for one week.
- You’ll find out that your scalp and hair will become healthy, shiny without any problem.
5. Olive Oil For Treating Dry Scalp
Dry scalp can be one result from the deficiency of some nutrients, dehydrated scalp, stress, over exposing to sunlight, hormonal imbalance, etc. Dry scalp requires to be well moisturized. Olive oil is one super natural moisturizer which has lots of efficient properties to cure the dry scalp. Here are some methods to use olive oil for scalp:
Method 1: (Olive Oil And Sugar Scalp Scrub)
- First of all, take sugar (4 – 5 tablespoons) in one small bowl.
- Add enough amount of this oil and next mix it well to create a fine paste.
- Now apply this on the scalp and gently rub it like scrub in circular motion.
- Allow it for around 5 – 10 minutes and later rinse it off using shampoo and apply conditioner.
- This process helps to inhibits dry scalp as it cleans the scalp gently and inhibits the shedding of excess skin cells coming out whenever you starch on the scalp.
Method 2: (Olive Oil With Honey And Avocado)
- Take one ripened avocado, virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons) and honey (a teaspoon).
- Avocado must be mashed using food processor or blender or by pressing it with your hands.
- Later mix all these ingredients well and now apply it to the dry hair.
- Wrap your hair using shower cap and keep it like that for at least half an hour.
- End this process by washing the hair using warm water thoroughly and shampoo it afterwards.
- The process makes the hair glossy, soft, and moisturized that inhibits the dry scalp.
Method 3: (Olive Oil With Vegetable Glycerine And Honey)
- Take virgin organic olive oil (4 tablespoons) and add two tablespoons each of pure honey and pure vegetable glycerine.
- Now stir all the ingredients well.
- Shampoo the hair and then apply this mixture as one conditioner.
- Lastly, rinse your hair using water and then pat it dry.
Learn more: 11 Natural Solutions For Dry Scalp
6. Olive Oil For Dandruff And Dry Scalp
General speaking, dry scalp is a common problem which causes dandruff. Here are several methods to use olive oil for scalp and dandruff:
Method 1 (Olive Oil With Honey)
- Take virgin olive oil (half cup) and warm it for some seconds.
- Add honey (2 teaspoons) and mix it well.
- Now apply this on the scalp and massage it gently with your fingers.
- Allow it on for ten minutes to get saturated into the scalp and hair completely.
- Rinse it off using herbal shampoo and cover the scalp using hot towel that aids to hold your moisturizer very effectively.
- In the process, olive oil as combined with honey will make your hair moisturized and healthy as honey is antiviral and anti-inflammatory agent and olive oil moisturizes your scalp.
Method 2: (Olive Oil And Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take warm olive oil (a cup) and apply it on the scalp and hair.
- Now massage your scalp and hair with the finger tips for some minutes
- Keep it like that for some hours by covering the hair with shower cap.
- Shampoo the hair and later use apple cider vinegar, one natural conditioner to condition the hair.
- Let it be on for some minutes and afterwards rinse it off using fresh water.
- This process assists to reduce the dandruff, dry scalp along with the inflammation caused by the dry scalp.
There are a lot of methods to use olive oil for scalp presented in this post, keep reading it!
7. Olive Oil For Itchy Scalp
As you are in meetings, parties, public places, your scalp starts itching because of some inflammatory reaction underneath your hair on the head. Then you must scratch your scalp to decrease your stress levels. It is caused thanks to skin diseases, skin dryness, fungal or bacterial infections, obesity or sunburn, inflammatory disorders, etc. Olive oil is the greatest oil helping to clear all these troubles with its amazing agents and makes your hair healthy and itchy-less. Here are a few simple methods to use olive oil for itchy scalp:
Method 1: (Olive Oil With Other Essential Oils)
- First of all, take olive oil and next add it any of the essential oils such as lavender, coconut oil, almond, avocado, tea tree oil, etc. in 2:1 ratio i.e. two parts of olive oil combined with one part of any of your favorite oil but amount depends on your hair length.
- Stir it well as both these oil has to be accurately mixed.
- Now apply this to the scalp and hair and allow it on for some hours or for overnight.
- In the next morning, wash your hair and you’ll find beautiful as well as itchy-less hair.
Method 2: (Olive Oil, Broccoli’s Puree And Mayonnaise)
- Take mayonnaise, olive oil and egg or broccoli’s puree.
- Mix it well and then apply it on the scalp by gently rubbing it.
- Leave it for some hours and after that rinse it off using shampoo.
- Repeat this frequently to remove the problem of itchiness.
Method 3: (Olive Oil And Other Natural Oils)
- Take coconut oil, almond oil and olive oil and then mix all these oils properly.
- Warm this mixture and now apply it on the scalp.
- Allow it on for some hours or overnight by covering the hair using shower or any plastic cap.
- In the morning, wash it to remove itches on your scalp caused as one result of dandruff.
Learn more: 10 Natural Solutions For Itchy Scalp
8. Olive Oil For Dandruff And Itchy Scalp
Generally, dry Scalp causes itchiness. The itchy scalp causes dandruff. Hence, to remove the itchiness on the scalp as well as dandruff, you should try these simple methods.
Method 1 (Olive Oil)
- First of all, take sufficient quantity of olive oil and next apply it on the scalp by rubbing it in order to get saturated well all over the hair and scalp.
- Allow it to sit on hair for up to eight hours or overnight and then wear shower cap.
- Afterwards, rinse it off using shampoo followed by water.
Method 2: (Olive Oil And Almond Oil)
- Take almond oil and olive oil and mix it well.
- After completely mixing, you apply it on the hair and scalp.
- Massage it for some minutes and then allow it on for around 5 – 10 minutes.
- Whenever, it begins to burn wash it off using shampoo in order to get clear from the dandruff and itchy scalp.
Learn more: Top 26 Natural Solutions For Dandruff In Winter
9. Olive Oil For Flaky Scalp
Flaky scalp occurs because of lack of oil production in your scalp which becomes over dry. The dead cells will shred on the nails and shoulders when scratched. Olive oil aids to inhibit this problem effectively. Here are some methods to use olive oil for scalp:
Method 1: (Olive Oil)
- Take enough amount of this oil as per the hair length
- Apply it all over the scalp and hair.
- Massage it on your scalp and allow it to sit for some hours or for overnight.
- In the next morning, wash it off.
- This process assists to moisturize your scalp and inhibits not only your formed flakes but also assists to inhibit the formation of your new flakes.
Method 2: (Olive Oil And Tea Tree Oil)
- Take tea tree oil (8 – 10 drops) and next add this to olive oil (1 oz).
- Combine both these oils and then apply this to the scalp.
- Rub the scalp to cover all the part of the hair.
- Leave it for some hours and after that, rinse it off using shampoo.
- It is recommended to regular oil massages to remove the flaky scalp problem.
10. Olive Oil For Dry, Flaky, Itchy Scalp
Particularly, olive oil moisturizes your scalp and inhibits the flaking skin which associated with cradle cap and dandruff. Here are detailed guides to use olive oil for scalp problems:
- Take one plastic zipper bag and next fill it with honey (1 tablespoon) and olive oil (2 tablespoon).
- Stir it well and then seal the bag.
- Then take a bowl or mug and fill it around halfway with hot water.
- Place the bag in this hot water and allow it to sit for around 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove the bag and now cut the corner of one end of the plastic bag.
- After that, place this bag over the head and now squeeze it to disperse this mixture.
- Massage the hair so that this saturate all over the hair completely.
- Wrap the head in shower cap and leave it to stay on your hair for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair using mild shampoo and then repeat it as required by you to inhibit the problem.
11. Olive Oil For Scalp Psoriasis
Generally, scalp psoriasis is one common skin disorder which has reddish scaly patches appears as one or multiple patches on your scalp and spread to neck, forehead and ear but it isn’t contagious problem. Olive oil as applied on your scalp psoriasis locks the nutrients and moisture that helps to cure the scalp psoriasis efficiently. Here are some methods to use olive oil for scalp psoriasis:
Method 1: (Olive Oil)
- Take olive oil (few tablespoons) and next apply it to patches and scales of psoriasis.
- Massage gently on the scalp for some minutes to loosen these troublesome plaques.
- Or you can allow it for entire night after massaging.
- Rinse it off using shampoo and conditioner.
Method 2: (Olive Oil And Warm Water)
- Take lukewarm water (a cup) and olive oil (1/2 cup) (slightly warmed).
- Mix it well and later pour it gently over your scalp that was affected by this psoriasis.
- Leave some time to sooth your skin plus soften the scales.
- Lastly, wash it off using shampoo followed by water.
Method 3: (Olive Oil With Tea Tree Oil)
- First of all, take olive oil (a cup) and warm this oil by placing this in one pot that contains hot water in this.
- Add tea tree oil (10 – 15 drops) and mix it well.
- Pour the solution into an empty bottle and then part the hair to apply the mixture on your scalp properly.
- Apply it all over the scalp but focus more on your bed spots and massage the scalp for few minutes.
- Wrap the hair in shower cap/ any plastic wrap.
- Leave it to stay for around 2 – 3 hours but do not forget to rinse it off at any time it burns too much (when added tea tree oil).
- Repeat this process once in fifteen days to remove the scalp psoriasis.
Learn more: 11 Tips To Treat Psoriasis On Skin And Scalp
12. Olive Oil For Scalp Eczema
General speaking, scalp eczema is one type of eczema causing redness, dryness, flaking, itching and development of scaly, oily patches on your scalp. This oil will moisturize your scalp and gets rid of the patches on your scalp to deal with the scalp eczema. Here are easy steps to use olive oil for scalp eczema:
- Apply the warmed olive oil directly on the scalp.
- Massage it gently by focusing more on your most affected area.
- Allow it on for some minutes and later rinse it off using mild shampoo.
- Then take one soft bristled brush and now brush away any resting scales.
- This process aids to loosen and get rid of your scales by soothing the burning sensation.
- Alternatively, you may also apply a little bit of the oil after you take the shower that aids to moisture the scalp and prevents itchy, dry, flaky scalp that irritates the scalp.
13. Olive Oil For Scalp Fungus
Typically, scalp fungus can cause itching, dandruff, dryness, flaking, hair loss, head lice, etc. Olive oil with its anti-fungal, antibacterial properties will efficiently cure all these troubles i.e. scalp fungus. Here is the recipe to use olive oil for scalp fungus:
- Take olive oil and next apply it on your hair and scalp.
- Massage all over your scalp and allow it for several hours or overnight
- Cover the hair using shower cap and afterwards apply heat with the help of hair dryer.
- After that, rinse it off using shampoo and allow it to dry naturally.
14. Olive Oil For Baby Scalp
Babies scalp exposure to many things such as sunlight, dirt, fungal and bacterial infections, etc. Applying olive oil on the baby scalp will help to prevent many scalp and hair problems like cradle cap, eczema, dandruff, psoriasis, etc. You should follow this way to have shiny and healthy hair and scalp to your babies.
- Take a small quantity of pure olive oil and next rub it on the baby’s scalp.
- Let it be on for around 15 – 20 minutes and later gently comb out these flakes with soft bristles brush or fine-tooth comb to remove these flakes on their hair.
- Rinse your baby hair using baby shampoo and allow it for few minutes prior to rinsing that assists to cut the oil.
- The process assists to clog the pores and also cause the flakes to stick coming out easily. It assists to cure flaky scalp as well as cradle cap troubles in your baby’s scalp.
15. Olive Oil On Scalp For Hair Growth
Commonly, olive oil helps in a good way to cure all your scalp and hair problems. It makes the hair to grow properly along with health. Try these following methods for healthy, shiny and beautiful hair.
Method 1: (Olive Oil With Tea Tree Oil)
- Take olive oil (3 tablespoons) and add tea tree oil (5 – 7 drops).
- Stir it well and next apply it on the scalp.
- Wrap your head by using towel or shower cap.
- Allow it like that for entire night and in the morning, shampoo your hair normally.
- This process assists to grow the hair and also inhibits dandruff.
Method 2: (Olive Oil Hair Mask)
- First of all, take olive oil (1/2 cup) and add this to one well-beaten egg yolk along with some drops of lemon juice
- Mix it well and later apply this as one mask on the hair by applying more on the scalp.
- Leave it for around 20 – 30 minutes and afterwards wash your hair using shampoo and conditioner.
Learn more: Total Hair Regrowth Review
16. Olive Oil For Scalp Dandruff
Generally, olive oil moisturizes and may soak into scaly, thick areas on your scalp that cures dandruff conditions, hydrating them enough to leave them to loosen plus release in one large piece in place of smaller flakes. Here are two methods to use olive oil for scalp dandruff:
Method 1: (Olive Oil And Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take two tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar, olive oil and distilled water in one small bowl.
- Mix it well till their combined properly.
- Wet the hair and pour the rinse over the head.
- Massage your scalp using your fingers and allow it on your scalp for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- Wash it using shampoo and water and follow it regularly to easily remove the scalp dandruff problem.
- The process helps to cleanse the scalp and rejuvenate dull roots preventing dandruff.
Method 2: (Olive Oil Overnight Treatment)
- First of all, pour olive oil (8 – 10 drops) into your palms and then apply it on the scalp.
- Massage it properly and then place one shower cap to the head.
- Leave it on for entire night and in the morning rinse it off with medicated or regular dandruff shampoo.
- The process allows this oil to moisturize your scalp and get rid of the dandruff flakes.
Tips And Precautions To Be Followed To Apply Olive Oil For Scalp:
You should follow these useful tips to get more advantages and to easily solve your scalp problems.
- Hot olive oil can burn or scald your scalp so do not use hot oil, it is better to use plain oil to your babies and warm oil for adults. Check it first to know its hotness and later apply it on your scalp.
- Do not stop all the methods by trying it once. You should follow it regularly till you get complete cure from the problem.
- You may also take this oil orally by using it in salad dressings, cooking process, etc. that helps for the overall hair, scalp as well as skin and makes them shiny and healthy.
- For best results, you choose a virgin olive oil or high quality extra virgin to apply it on the scalp and hair.
- Rinse out this olive oil in the hair by using shampoo after applying it. If not totally washed, the pores on your scalp can clog causing your flakes to stick to the scalp.
To get more information related to taking care of hair, go to our main Hair page. After studying the writing of 16 useful ways to use olive oil for scalp treatment, hope that this article will help you learn more several simple ways to apply olive oil for scalp. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Do you know any other ways to use olive oil for scalp treatment? Then share your experience with us.