Artificial hair coloring was no longer used primarily by people like in the past to beat off the natural hair inevitable graying process.
Today, hair dyeing is a hot trend that is extremely common among people, both young and old, both men and women alike. About 18.14% of households in the U.S used products for hair-coloring in 2015.
It is primarily a cosmetic procedure that can help to restore color after a hair-dressing procedure, such as bleaching, to “hide” gray hair, or sometimes it is just an experiment of people who want to come with a brand new hair color to appear more fashionable.
Hair dyeing is no longer merely a service to be bought at the salons. People who want to learn how to dye hair naturally now prefer doing it at home more often.
Dyeing hair at home can save an immense amount of money and time. Nevertheless, there is a difficulty that prevents us from getting success in this business. Hair dyes bought from the stores are laced with harmful chemicals that can negatively affect your health in many ways.
The excess use of chemical hair dyeing products can also weaken your hair, leading to hair loss and excess breakage.
According to a research published in the International Journal of Trichology in 2013, among 263 people using hair dyeing products, 96% rendered hair unsafe for pregnant and lactating women, 38% reported itching, and 63% reported headaches. Besides, according to a research published in Public Health Reports in 2005, using chemical hair dyes on a regular basis is positively associated with increased risks of bladder cancer.
Some hair dyeing products have gluten as component and could even trigger a severe allergic reaction in people who are gluten intolerant.
People can prevent several ones among these problems by using natural hair dyes without any chemical additive.
List Of Easy Tips On How To Dye Hair Naturally
In the article today, people will learn some simple ways and tips on how to dye hair naturally at home with just a few simple steps. Let’s discover:
1. How To Dye Hair Naturally With Henna
This is the first one out on the list of the best tips on how to dye hair naturally that people should not skip yet try right away from today to achieve fashionable hair color!
- Plastic wrap
- Mixing spoon (non-metallic)
- Measuring spoons
- Coconut milk – 1 can
- Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Organic powdered henna – 150 to 200 grams
- Do not use hair products that are chemical-based in a day-to-day routine as these products could hamper the efficacy of natural items, such as henna.
- Use a towel to cover your pillow for the next two to three days because the henna may stain your covers.
- Try adding one to three teaspoons of powdered cinnamon, ginger, or clove to the mixture to get rid of the henna’s stubborn smell if you want.
- People can use plain whole milk as a great alternative to coconut milk.
- Apple cider vinegar would be a great alternative to lemon juice.
- If you have your scalp excessively dry, then you should try adding ¼ cup of olive oil or hemp seed oil to the mixture to get more moisture.
- If you have your scalp excessively oily, then forego the coconut milk, which could help in exacerbating the oiliness. You just need to add some water.
- Thoroughly rinse and brush your hair before applying the henna dye. Henna would stick better to clean and detangled hair.
- Always opt for organic henna, preferably the type which also contains herbal ingredients, such as brahmi, shikakai, amla, and bhringraj.
Learn More: Top 17 Homemade Hair Dye
– Coconut milk
People who use long term henna dyes just cannot stop raving about the amazing advantages of having coconut milk added to the paste of henna powder.
For beginners, it may counter the super-drying property that lemon juice could leave on their scalp, especially for people already suffering from hair and dry scalp. In addition, it can help to combat the drying impacts of henna.
Apart from its amazingly moisturizing properties, coconut milk can help a lot in releasing the dye quicker, as well as strengthen and nourish your hair for additional measure.
Read More: Tips On How To Naturally Darken Your Hair
– Lemon juice
The henna leaf powder has the dye molecules which, as released, penetrate the hair and scalp and dye them.
Nevertheless, these leaf powder particles could be covered with cellulose, which may need to be broken down for releasing the dyeing molecules.
While other products could break down the cellulose, just an acidic product such as lemon juice would enable it to firmly stick to your hair and scalp, and dye your hair more efficiently.
Africa, Arabia, Europe, South Asia, and Ancient Egypt – many cultures all over the world have been using this natural ingredient as a safe hair-coloring assistant for several years. It is among the most potent natural coloring items on the planet.
Depending upon and the quality of the henna that would be used and the real color of our hair, the resulting colors after an application of henna could be a dark burgundy, red, or orange.
Besides its coloring effects, henna is also an amazingly great conditioner that can make your hair manageable. Henna also helps to prevent breakage and offers vitality and strength to the hair.
In addition, henna can help a lot in inhibiting the excessive oil production from the scalp that could make your hair limp and greasy, as well as maintain its buoyancy.
Discover 15 Best Henna Hair Mask Recipes
– Steps For Henna Hair Dye
- Pour one can of coconut milk into a bowl, and then add about two hundred grams of powdered henna and one or two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Mix all ingredients well using a spoon to create a thick paste and use plastic wrap to cover the bowl.
- Let the mix sit overnight at room temperature to achieve the greatest results, or allow it to stay for four or five hours at least so that the dye could release.
How To Apply:
- Divide the hair down the middle of your scalp into 2 parts, bringing each of the two parts to either side of shoulders.
- Put on 1 pair of gloves to apply the henna to protect your nails and fingers from being stained.
- Start with the right side, elevate a 2-inch part of the hair from the crown and start coating your hair with the henna.
- Once the part is totally coated, twist it with your fingers and coil it into a bun on the top of your head.
- Begin from the crown and move down, part a two-inch part each time, repeat the twisting and coating processes, and each turn, coil them around the same initial bun.
- With the left side of the hair, repeat the process. After everything is done, you need to have 1 big henna mound on your head top.
- Use a plastic wrap to wrap your head (or for shorter hair, you can use a shower cap) and allow it to stay within five or six hours at least. To achieve the greatest results, allow it to stay overnight.
- Use plain cool water to rinse your hair
- Avoid washing hair with conditioner or shampoo for the next thirty two hours.
- Your hair would come out tinted with colour at first and darker than it actually is, and the color would become deeper over two or three days after dyeing. Along with the quality, the color would just grow richer as we start using henna to apply directly onto the hair on a regular basis.
Henna dye is a great and very common hair dyeing method that has been using for several years all over the world. Try it!
2. Coconut Oil And Honey Hair Lightener
This is also one of the most amazing tips on how to dye hair naturally that we would like to introduce in the entire article today and people who want to get natural hair color without hair damage should read and make use of!
- Coconut oil – ½ cup
- Raw honey – ½ cup
– Coconut oil
The coconut oil (melted) will not only moisturize your hair, but also boost the honey’s hydrogen peroxide and speed up the lightening process.
– Raw honey
You have probably known that hydrogen peroxide is a potent agent for hair-lightening. Nevertheless, the pure chemical hydrogen peroxide high concentrations all at once could harm your scalp and hair.
Honey is a natural hydrogen peroxide source, and honey would release it slowly at very low levels, protecting our hair because it can lighten hair, while also nourish and strengthen the hair as well.
Do not miss: Best Honey For Hair Growth
- After applying this mixture for additional color-lift, use cinnamon to coat the hair. Cinnamon contains coloring properties that can help a lot in dyeing your hair the right way.
– Steps For Coconut Oil And Honey Hair Lightener
Here are some simple steps that people who want to learn how to dye hair naturally with coconut oil and honey mask should read and follow exactly at home.
Preparation And How To Apply:
- Mix half a cup each of coconut oil and honey in a bowl.
- Put a towel around the shoulders to prevent the liquid from spilling onto your clothing, or you just need to opt for wearing an old T-shirt that you do not mind ruining.
- Divide the hair into small parts and use the mixture to apply thoroughly onto hair strands using both hands.
- Allow it to stay within about half an hour.
- Prepare a natural conditioner and some warm water to rinse off your hair.
- Apply this method 3 times per week. You should start noticing the difference after just 2 – 3 weeks.
3. Natural Bleach – Lemon Juice, Chamomile Tea, And Sunlight
Note: This natural dye would make our hair color lighter, and it is also one of the best tips on how to dye hair naturally that people should not miss. Do not over let your hair excessively exposed to the sun. You just need to sit in the sun for a certain time period.
- Coconut oil (melted) – ¼ cup
- Lemon juice – ½ cup
- Chamomile tea bags – 6 to 10
- Boiling water – a little more than two cups
- Sunlight – plenty!
- First, you should pour this liquid into a spray bottle and bring along with you throughout the day if you are on the beach to prepare a quick spritz.
- You could also choose using a natural conditioner and shampoo later to wash your hair if you feel that the oil is sticky, although you should keep the liquid staying overnight.
– Coconut oil
The coconut oil (melted) would help in combating the lemon’s acidity and prevent it from excessively drying our hair.
– Lemon juice
The lemon juice’s citric acid content would become active as being exposed to the sunlight heat and could accelerate the lightening process of the sun.
– Chamomile tea
Chamomile is most common for its wonderful health advantages for several disorders. Although human beings are beginning to catch onto the cosmetic values of chamomile tea, its hair advantages are still almost unknown.
Chamomile tea is an all-natural bleach and great hair-lightening agent. It is extremely useful in bringing out highlights and blonde tints, and this is the reason for it to work best with natural blonde hair.
In addition, this natural bleach is the ideal kit of disaster-management for everyone reeling from a chemical blonde-highlight, albeit unhealthy, and gorgeous-looking treatment.
If you would like to get gold highlights or ombre tips longer, but do not want to use any type of chemical treatment that can damage your hair, it is perfect for you to use chamomile tea bleach for maintaining your natural look!
At last, according to a research published in Molecular Medical Review in 2010, chamomile is very nourishing and could be used in many hair care procedures.
Yep, sunlight can make the hair look lighter. If you wonder why sunlight could make the hair light but can make your skin darker, the answer would be: your hair is not alive while your skin is alive.
The rays of the sun normally leave a lightening impact on our body. Nevertheless, as the ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun would penetrate the skin, the melanin inside your skin could react to protect it from the harmful influences of the rays from the sun when the skin is exposed for a too long time period, which can lead to skin darkening.
Nevertheless, the cells of the hair would be dead, and thereby they cannot trigger a similar reaction. This is the reason why the sunlight can bleach our hair and lighten it.
Steps For Lemon Juice, Chamomile Tea, And Sunlight Natural Bleach
- Boil a little over two cups of water.
- Pour it into 1 large bowl & immerse six to ten tea bags of chamomile in it.
- Allow the tea to steep within about ten minutes.
- While the chamomile tea steeps, use a spoon to push these tea bags down gently for better and quicker infusion.
- Add a quarter cup of coconut oil (melted) and half a cup of lemon juice to your chamomile tea & stir the mix well.
- Empty the contents into 1 prepared bottle and vigorously shake it.
How To Apply:
- To avoid the liquid from spilling onto your clothes, put a towel around the shoulders, or you can choose wearing an used T-shirt that you do not mind ruining.
- Use the natural bleach liquid to thoroughly massage your hair.
- Sit in the sunlight within ten to fifteen minutes, or till your hair becomes dry. Avoid staying in the sunlight longer.
Do this on a daily basis, or 3 times per week. You can start noticing the change within just 2 – 3 weeks.
4. Black Walnut Powder Hair Rinse
- Powdered black walnut hull – six to ten tbsps.
- Hot water – two cups
- You could buy black walnut hulls and try grinding to make black walnut hull powder right at the comfort of your own home.
- Powdered black walnut contains plumbagin, juglone, or tannins – every substance that accords black walnut the deep dark color of its own. As it can be applied as a hair rinse, these substances could help in giving it a brownish color.
– Steps For Black Walnut Powder Hair Rinse
- Pour two cups of water into 1 prepared saucepan and boil it.
- Add six to ten tbsps. of the powdered black walnut hulls and allow it to steep within 60 minutes at least.
- Soak and use water to wash your hair off before allowing it to air dry.
How To Rinse:
- If you want to wash your hair after soaking your hair within this black walnut hair rinse, just use cool water to rinse your hair off within fifteen to twenty minutes after applying this liquid.
- Use this black walnut hair rinse on a daily basis or 3 times per week. You can start noticing the improvement and the change within just 2 – 3 weeks.
5. How To Dye Hair Naturally With Coffee
- Shower cap or plastic wrap
- Organic coffee powder – 10 tbsps.
- Boiling water – 2 cups
- Use a towel to cover your pillow for the next two to three days because coffee can stain your covers.
Coffee has tannins, which are molecules that offer caffeine its black, rich color. Rinse your hair on a regular basis with coffee so that the tannins would transfer some of that color to hair locks, thereby can darken the hair.
– Steps For Coffee Hair Dye
- Pour two cups of water into a medium-sized saucepan, and put the saucepan over high heat and boil it.
- Use medium heat, add the powdered coffee and allow it to stay on the heat within about five minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and allow the coffee to steep within ten more minutes.
How To Apply:
- Put a towel around the shoulders to prevent the liquid from spilling onto your clothing, or you just need to wear an old T-shirt which you do not mind ruining.
- Pour powdered coffee into a steel, wide tub or container and soak your hair, with your head in the tub, upside down.
- After soaking, completely wash your hair with the coffee water to coat it evenly and thoroughly
- Use a shower cap or a plastic wrap to cover your hair and allow the coffee dye to stay on within 1.5 hours.
How To Rinse
Use a natural conditioner and some cool water to rinse the coffee dye. Avoid using shampoo.
Apply this method 3 times per week. You will see the result clearly how to dye hair naturally within 2 – 3 weeks.
After reading this article and discover tips on how to dye hair naturally at home, people should do one more thing that is to spend time reading another related article that is also about hair and hair color – the 7 Best And Most Beautiful Hair Color Ideas. If you are those people who are looking for nice hair with wonderful natural color without damaging your hair, do not miss this recommended article. All of the ideas and suggestions contained in this article are 100% safe to apply at home and everyone can do it without facing any difficulty. Do not worry about side effects or about how you can keep your hair always strong even after using hair dyeing products as everything you need to know about how to care for your colored hair would be revealed with details in this article. Together with the list of tips on how to dye hair naturally today, this recommended article will give you the best hair color you would ever see in your life!
The article today introduces some of the best tips on how to dye hair naturally that every reader of VKool.com can follow at home without meeting any difficulty. Want to ask something about this article? Do not hesitate to leave your comments and feedbacks on the section below to allow us to give you the best replication as soon as possible. One more thing, if you think that this article and the suggestions, tips, and tricks we provide you within this article are useful, not only for your own case, but also for your friends or anyone out there you know who also want to know how to dye hair naturally the right and safe way, then feel free to share this list with them and let us know.
Related articles about hair issues, how to take care of hair, and some foods that are good for hair you should consume every day:
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 28 Tips on How to Remove Body Hair Naturally at Home
- 17 Benefits & Uses On Canola Oil For Hair Treatment & Hair Care
- 27 Tips on How to Prevent Greasy Hair Overnight and in the Morning
- 9 Amazing Uses Of Almond Oil For Hair Treatment
- 12 Natural Homemade Nourishing Hair Mask Recipes
- Prevent hair breakage and maintain healthy hair naturally
- 18 Best hairstyles for teenage girls with long hair
- 7 Natural Homemade Hydrating Hair Mask Recipes For Hair Types