Bulgur wheat is the whole wheat kernel, which is cooked & dried and later made available for consumption. It has been used for some years as a staple food. It’s also a popular food in many Middle Eastern countries and becomes a firm favorite in the West as well. Bulgur wheat is low in fat and calories, and high in fiber and protein, so this makes it a healthy and great nutritious addition to your meals and diet plan as well. In addition, it contains the low glycemic index, so it’s a wonderful food for curbing blood sugar levels. There are many health benefits of bulgur wheat mentioned in this article. To find more what they are, please continue to read the whole article in the line of Health on VKool.com site.
Top 11 Health Benefits Of Bulgur Wheat And Some Yummy Recipes
1. Benefits Of Bulgur Wheat – Aid With Weight Loss
Excessive body weight often increases the risks of heart attack, stroke, gout, diabetes, gallstones and cancer as well. You can feel extremely tired, develop skin irritation, experience breathing problems, and experience joint pains and lower back that can affect your mobility severely if you are overweight. Bulgur wheat is rich in fiber, so it’ll fill you up quickly and keep you feeling fuller for longer. It’ll help to stop you wanting to consume snacks between meals, so it can be helpful when you’re trying to reduce weight. A one-third cup portion of cooked bulgur wheat provides 5.2 grams of protein and 2.7 grams of fiber. So, if you are planning to reduce weight, it’s advised to include bulgur wheat in your diet.
2. Reduce The Chance Of Gallstones
Cutting gallstone risk is one of the outstanding health benefits of bulgur wheat you don’t miss. Bulgur heat helps to boost the movement of food via the body and decrease the amount of bile that our body produces, so it helps to reduce the chance of developing gallstones. In addition, it helps to promote the way that our body uses insulin and lowers the quantity of unhealthy fats that are stored in the body. In addition, the fiber present in bulgur wheat can eliminate the diverticular disease symptoms. Primarily, the diverticular disease affects the colon. This colon is a small part of the large intestine removing wastes from the body.
3. Benefits Of Bulgur Wheat – Anti-Inflammatory Effects
The anti-inflammatory action is also one of the most vital health benefits of bulgur wheat. Eating bulgur flour regularly helps to eliminate chronic inflammation, thereby fighting against many diseases. According to researchers, women and men who consumed large quantities of betaine, a metabolic present in bulgur wheat, had lowered concentrations of homocysteine, which has been related to diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Fight Type 2 Diabetes
Bulgur wheat is full of calcium as well as other health benefitting nutrients, all of which help to decrease the chance of type 2 diabetes. It is also effective for diabetes management because of being a low glycemic index. Bulgur takes a time to clear up in the intestine, which causes the consistent and slow release of glucose in our body, thus inhibiting any sudden dips or spikes in blood sugar level, which is harmful to diabetic patients.
5. Reduce The Chance Of Metabolic Syndrome
Reducing the chance of metabolic syndrome is also one of the best health benefits of bulgur wheat. As it comes to carbohydrates, it’s important to select the right ones to stay healthy and enhance weight loss. Some refined carbohydrates such as white flour, white rice, are connected with increased chance of metabolic syndrome and weight gain that causes cardiovascular diseases as well as Type 2 Diabetes. However, increased consumption of bulgur wheat protects the body from the features of metabolic syndrome such as obesity, high triglycerides level and high blood pressure. In addition, increased intake of bulgur wheat lowers the risk of both metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance.
6. Decrease The Chance Of Developing Cancer
Bulgur wheat has the insoluble fiber that will reduce the chance of developing some certain cancer types. 2 cups of bulgur will give you with nearly 34 percent of your regular requirement of fiber, which has been demonstrated to reduce the chance of developing breast as well as other forms of cancer.
7. Benefits Of Bulgur Wheat – Clear The Digestive Tract And Eliminate Constipation
Bulgur wheat works as an awesome laxative that removes the toxins and waste products from the digestive tract and helps to regularize the bowel movement, thus relieving constipation as well as the risk of developing piles. Bulgur wheat also helps to alleviate the symptoms of diverticular diseases including nausea, bloated abs, abdominal pain, and gas.
8. Reduce High Blood Pressure
Reducing high blood pressure is considered among the most effective benefits of bulgur wheat on health. High blood pressure is known as a serious medical issue that can cause a heart stroke, attack; heart failure, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure, as well as other serious health issues. The common symptoms of high blood pressure consist of a severe headache, vomiting, nausea, confusion, nose bleeds and vision changes. Fortunately, bulgur wheat helps to lower the chance of high blood pressure. The researchers of American Heart Association show that people who eat bulgur wheat frequently, have a far lower chance of developing hypertension.
9. Rich Source Of Iron
Basically, bulgur wheat is a rich source of iron that is needed by the body. Iron carries the oxygen in the blood and it’s used in the procedure of creating enzymes and proteins. Iron also aids in supporting many of the functions of the body from the collagen production to the immune system. A cup of bulgur wheat has 10 percent of the daily requirement of iron of a woman.
10. Benefits Of Bulgur Wheat – Fight Against Childhood Asthma
Asthma often affects children in the world. Research indicates that an increased intake of bulgur wheat reduces the chance of childhood asthma by nearly 50%. Bulgur wheat comprises of the antioxidants such as vitamins C and E, which reduce narrowing and wheezing of the airways and protect the respiratory tract. In addition, the development of asthma with BHR (bronchial hyperresponsiveness) is reduced remarkably.
11. Benefits Of Bulgur Wheat – Rich Source Of Vitamins And Minerals
Generally speaking, bulgur wheat also offers many of the essential minerals and vitamins that are often lacking in the diet. Bulgur wheat helps to keep a healthy metabolism because it is a powerful source of B Vitamins, magnesium as well as manganese.
Thus, now that you know some amazing health benefits of bulgur wheat, let us take a detailed look at a few of the tasty and easy recipes with bulgur wheat that you can prepare at home:
Bulgur Wheat Salad
This recipe is the easiest and simplest to prepare. It is also healthy because it is rich in fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins and low in fat.
- Cucumber, chopped finely – 1/2
- Tomato, chopped finely – 1
- Parsley, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Small onion, chopped finely – 1
- Boiled chickpeas – ¼ cup
- Broken bulgur – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Step by step directions:
- In a glass bowl, add the bulgur and pour boiling water (two cups) into it. Next, cover with the help of a plastic wrap and let it steam for half an hour.
- Chop all the vegetables meanwhile and in a bowl, add them along with the lemon juice and chickpeas. After that, mix well.
- Use a fork to fluff the bulgur with and to the vegetable mixture, add it. Blend well with the help of a fork and to it, add a pinch of black pepper and salt/
- Finally, mix and serve directly.
Spicy Bulgur Pancakes
This recipe is suitable for breakfast. Surely, the kids and the elder family members will love this dish. This recipe is also full of protein and energy.
- Bulgur wheat – ¾ cup
- Curd – ¼ cup
- Wheat flour – 1 tablespoon
- Cabbage, finely chopped – ½ cup
- Besan – 1 tablespoon
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Coriander, finely chopped – 2 teaspoons
- Green chilli paste – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
Step by step directions:
- Firstly, soak the bulgur in boiling water (one cup) for 15 minutes. Remove the excess water and then combine the bulgur with water (1/4 cup) and curd (1/4 cup).
- Mix it in 1 blender and pour the mixture in a bowl. After that, to it, add wheat flour, green chilli paste, besan, cabbage, asafetida, salt and coriander.
- Mix well and if required, add some water. Heat an uttapam pan and then brush a little oil on it. After that, on the pan, pour 1 ladle full of this mixture and spread it to form a pancake.
- Afterwards, cook both sides until they become golden brown.
- Finally, enjoy it.
Bulgur Salad With Garbanzo Beans, Plum Tomatoes And Fet
- Bulgur – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained – 1 15 1/2 oz can
- Diced plum tomatoes – 1 cup
- Crumbled feta cheese – 1/2 cup
- Chopped green onions – 1/2 cup
- Chopped fresh mint – 1/3 cup
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley – 1/3 cup
- Fresh lemon juice – 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Grated lemon peel – 2 teaspoons
Step by step directions:
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to boil. Remove from heat and add salt and bulgur and stir to blend.
- Then, cover and let it stay on for about 20 minutes until the bulgur is just tender. Drain well and extract excess water by pressing.
- Transfer bulgur to a large bowl and let it cool. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Season with pepper and salt and serve.
- Bulgur – 1 cup
- Grated jaggery – 2 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
Step by step directions:
- Wash the bulgur at first and soak it in water (1 cup) for fifteen minutes. Then, in a pan put the jaggery and a little water and heat it for some time.
- Strain it and set aside. Now, to the molten jaggery, add 3 cups of water and heat it again. Then, to it, add the bulgur and let it boil.
- Pour the milk and continue boiling and sauté the raisins in 1 tablespoon of ghee for 1 minute. Thereafter, add this to the payasam.
- Finally, serve in the small glass bowls.
Now, you know the benefits of bulgur wheat for health as well as some recipes made from it. So, it’s advised to include this nutritious food in your diet. Don’t forget to share your thoughts with us.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How to meet people in a new city: 14 tips to build connections
- 10 Healthy benefits of cloves for overall health
- Social anxiety secrets PDF download review – is it reliable?
- Top 18 high calorie foods for toddlers to gain weight
- 12 Best Solutions On Minerals & Vitamins For Oily Skin Control
- Get rid of hives book review – can Paulette Joynt’s guide work?
- 12 fun things to do in the morning to lose weight are exposed
- How to deal with selfish people in family and at work