In addition to the wonderful it adds to the dish, olive oil is considered as one of healing wonders of the nature. Olive oil is touted for its health benefits in many recipes and diet books. To get the most benefits and the best bang for your bucks, here is something you should know about benefits of olive oil.
18 Health And Beauty Benefits Of Olive Oil That Amaze You
I. Health Benefits Of Olive Oil
1. Improve Heart Health And Prevent Cardiovascular Disease
According to some prestigious studies, those people who consume olive oil every day can protect themselves well from a stroke. A diet rich in olive oil might be able to reduce the aging process of the human heart.
When we age, the arteries might not function as well as they did, thereby leading to some health problems. In fact, a diet containing olive oil or other monounsaturated fats can enhance the arterial function of the old.
2. Prevent Diabetes
Such low-fat diet is often recommended for those who want to prevent various serious diseases, like diabetes and heart disease. Actually, high fat diets might increase the potential risk of some diseases, such as cancer or diabetes. Diabetes leads to severe spikes as well as drops in the blood sugar levels; thus, people with this problem have to be so careful to maintain the blood sugar levels stably. One solution is to eat a diet that is low in carborhydrates. However, nowadays, experts indicate that diet rich in monounsaturated fat, which is found in olive oil, is much effective compared with the first solution.
3. Reduce Cancer Risk
The phytonutrient in olive oil, oleocanthal, might mimic the impact of ibuprofen in decreasing inflammation that can reduce the risk of breast cancer as well as its reoccurrence. Lignans and squalene are some of the components of olive oil which bring positive effects on cancer.
Also, olive oil is effective in preventing cancer. Along with other components of a Mediterranean diet, might contribute to the ability of preventing of malignant melanoma, which is a dangerous kind of skin cancer. This might be slowed down by the intake of olive oil, which is high in antioxidants.
Learn how to prevent cancer beforehand effectively with useful tips in our website here.
4. Lower Depression Risk
Those people who consume a diet rich in trans fats like mass-produced foods and fast foods might have a higher risk of depression and stress, compared with those who have a diet with mono- and poly-unsaturated fats.
5. Weight Loss
Carrying excess weight is a popular condition which goes with high levels of heart disease, cholesterol, and other ailments. Fortunately, with olive oil which contains monounsaturated fats, you can lose a few excess pounds.
6. Blood Pressure
Adding a small amount of virgin olive oil in the daily diet and continuing with the normal treatments for high blood pressure could really improve blood pressure. Just taking olive leaf extract also helps you reduce blood pressure as well.
7. Improve Bone Health
Olive oil can be beneficial in the absorption of calcium. It also boosts the bone mineralization and the process of calcification. This property of olive oil is strongly useful for those who are getting osteoporosis, who are susceptible to fractures due to decreased bone mass.
8. Relive Constipation
This oil serves as a lubricant for the human digestive system and also assists in easing the passage of stool, thereby relieving constipation. It can strengthen the digestive system and prevent gastro-intestinal problems such as peptic ulcers and gastritis. T
Try these useful tips for overcoming constipation at home here.
9. Improve Brain Function
Fact is, olive oil is useful in enhancing cognition, according to studies. It is shown that language fluency and visual memory improve tremendously in those people who made use of olive oil intensively. Moreover, olive oil can also develop the condition of people having brain-related disorders.
For getting more advice for brain power improvement, you can refer here.
10. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Though the reasons are not totally clear, studies pointed out that people with diets containing high levels of olive oil are less likely to suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.
Check out: methods to get rid of rheumatoid arthritis.
II. Beauty Benefits Of Olive Oil
The main cause behind the olive oil benefits for skin is that it is so rich in healthy fats and phenolic antioxidants along with squalene and oleic acidas. These can help people eliminate free radicals and repair the damage of sun exposure. Also, these substances also decrease the potential risk of skin cancer because they can inhibit the development of tumor cells.
1. Olive Oil For Skin
- Remove stretch marks: You can say goodbye to the ugly looking stretch marks on the body by making use of olive oil. This can help your skin regenerate and enhance your skin’s elasticity. This will not only beneficial in preventing stretch marks from reoccurrence, but also lightening the ones that are present. Take advantage of olive oil to massage the affected skin areas twice per week and you will see the huge change in your skin condition.
- Makeup remover: it is not essential for you to spend money on artificial makeup removers. What you need is a bottle of olive oil. Olive oil does not sting your eyes and is not harsh the skin as some artificial makeup removers. If you worry about the oiliness of this solution, you can resolve that problem by regularly washing your face after you remove your makeup with olive oil. By this way, you also ensure that no traces of makeup left on the skin. The proportions of oil will depend on your skin type. Once your skin is dry, then take more olive oil than with oily skin.
- Prevent cell degeneration in your skin: when it comes to beauty benefits of olive oil on the human skin, the present of antioxidants in olive oil along with the vitamin E can prevent premature aging effectively. The squalene appearance in the olive oil can increase the elasticity of the skin, preventing sagging of your skin and leaving it toned with youthful glow. In order to decrease the wrinkles around your eyes, you can massage olive oil onto your skin.
- Treat dry and scaly skin: you can mix olive oil with sea salt and massage it into the affected area to slough off dead skin cells as well as enrich the healthy layer beneath it. Add some tbsp of olive oil with some drops of lavender essential oil in your bath. This will be a good way for you to relax, moisturize, and soothe your whole body.
- Treat sunburn: olive oil can treat your sunburn and works as a natural sunscreen. Just mix the same quantities of olive oil and tea decoction and apply all over your face and body. Then, wait for an hour before rinsing if off.
2. Olive Oil For Hair
- Moisturize your hair: olive oil has a same effect on the hair as it does on your skin. If your hair is damaged, then it might lead to other hair problems such as split ends and frizzy hair. Thus, to nourish your hair, just give it a hot olive oil hair massage. Make sure that you do not heat the oil too much as if the olive oil is too hot, it might lose benefits.
- Condition the hair: you should take the same quantity of olive oil and water before mixing them together. Then, apply the mixture to your scalp. Leave that mixture on your scalp for 10 minutes. After that, wash your hair with shampoo.
- Beautify curly hair: your curly hair is suffering from extremely frizzy hair, and olive oil can tame the unruly tresses. Apply olive oil on your hair before combing as it is a natural serum which can give your dry and dull hair a little bit of shine. Just keep in mind that you just make use of olive oil lightly otherwise there will be opportunities that your hair will become oily.
- Treat Frizzy Hair
Olive oil works as a moisturizing agent on hair. If you have dry damaged hair such as frizzy hair and split ends, olive oil can help nourish your dry tresses. Apply hot olive oil on your hair and massage gently. This will speed up your hair growth fast.
- Remove Paint And Mascara From Your Hair
If you get paint in your hair as you pain walls, you can use olive to remove pain from your hair. Moisten a small cotton ball with some drops of olive oil, then gently rub it to hair.
Similarly, if you want to remove mascara, use olive oil as a natural mascara removal. It works as effectively as professional ones.
3. Olive Oil For Hands And Feet
Virgin olive oil massage will help you get rid of dry cuticles and nails. Rather than using a cuticle or hand cream, you can go for some drops of olive oil by rubbing them into the cuticle area as well as around the nails. Use it regularly to keep the cuticles stay moist and the nails shiny.
It can work not only for your nails but also prevent the heels from cracking. Just apply it on your cracked heels, wear socks, and let them moisturize your dry skin overnight.
4. Treat Bad Breath
When it comes to benefits of olive oil, it is essential to count for the benefit of relieving bad breath. Mix one teaspoon of olive oil with the same amount of lemon juice, consume that mixture on your empty stomach.
5. Clear Up Acne
Yes! Olive oil can help treat acne. Make a paste with 3 tablespoon of olive oil and 4 tablespoon of salt. Pour this mixture onto a hand and apply it on your face. Massage your face well with your fingers. Leave the mixture for some minutes. Next, rinse it off with water (warm and soapy water). Apply it daily through a week. Then, cut back to 2 or 3 time per week. With this natural treatment for acne, your skin condition can be improved significantly. This method works based on the principle as follows: salt help cleanse pores by exfoliation and olive oil aids in restoring skin’s natural moisture.
6. Substitute Of Shaving Cream
If possible, you should not use shave cream, stop wasting your time doing it with soap because it may be rough on the skin. On the other hand, olive oil is a dandy substitute of shaving cream. Olive oil makes it ease for the blade in order to glide over the face or legs, and it also helps moisturize the skin as well. Actually, after trying olive oil, you can swear off your shaving cream altogether.
7. Clean Greasy Hands
To remove car grease from hands, mix a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of sugar or salt into your palms together. Then, vigorously rub this mixture onto hands, between fingers for some minutes; next wash your hand with water and soap. Your hands will not only be cleaner, they will but also be softer, too.
III. Tips On Using Olive Oil
In the previous parts, health and beauty benefits of olive oil have been presented so clear. Nevertheless, you also pay attention to the right way to consume this oil. For more details, you should consider the following tips:
– Avoid consuming olive oil more in quantity
– This oil can be kept fresh in 2 years
– Avoid applying olive oil on open wounds (with prior consultation)
– Store the oil in dry and cool places, keep it far from air, sunlight and other sources of heat
– Smell olive oil’s aroma first in order to increase its taste
– Store the oil in dark glass bottles, avoid storing it in plastic bottles, cans or other container of other materials
– Be careful about using olive oil or fresh olive fruit during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Olive oil itself can be very beneficial for the human in terms of health and beauty. Make use of all 18 health and beauty benefits of olive oil regularly and you will see your internal and external health improve naturally.
If you concern about any aspect of this article of top 18 health and beauty benefits of olive oil, feel free to leave your words at the end of this post. We will answer all soon!