Dry scalp is one of the most common skin problems, especially in the winter. Dry scalp can be caused by poor diet, infections, fungus, poor hair care, anxiety, dry scalp, dandruff. This problem makes you embarrassing and less confident. The scalp includes sebum, which can moisturize your hair and depending on the amount of sebum produced your scalp might be dry, oily, or normal. Dry scalp results from the amount of sebum and in this article, VKool.com will show you top 22 tips on how to prevent dry scalp naturally and effectively at home. Hopefully, you will have a beautiful hair with the information given in the writing.
Top 22 Tips How To Prevent Dry Scalp At Home Naturally
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antifungal property to kill bacteria that causes over-production of the skin cells. The oil also can soothe the dry scalp as well as prevent the hair problem effectively. Here are some methods how to prevent dry scalp with tea tree oil:
- Method 1:
- You add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in the conditioner or shampoo.
- Massage the scalp for some minutes and rinse your hair with water as usual.
- Tea tree oil and keep the scalp moisturized so you should wash off your hair regularly with tea tree oil to prevent the condition.
- Method 2:
- Firstly, you pour 10 drops of tea tree oil in the water.
- Then you add it with shampoo and wash your hair.
- You should follow this remedy every week to avoid dry scalp permanently.
Read more: Hair Growth Treatments
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can combat the fungus that leads to dry scalp problem. This ingredient also helps reduce inflammation from dry scalp and here are some options you can choose:
- Method 1:
- You add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar with ½ cup of water.
- Mix it well and apply it on your hair.
- Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing off with shampoo and water.
- Method 2:
- Firstly, you wash your hair with water.
- Now you prepare some apple cider vinegar and use a cotton ball to apply the ingredient on the scalp.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and wash your hair with cold water.
- You should do it twice per week to prevent the dry scalp problem.
- Method 3:
- You prepare a pan and mix a handful of rosemary with some cups of water.
- Stir the mixture well and boil it.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the heat and strain the mixture in a bowl.
- When it is cool, you add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and some drops of essential oil such as peppermint oil or rosemary oil.
- Mix it well and put it into the spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture with shampoo and rinse your hair with water.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice includes antiseptic property that can remove the dead cells on the scalp, keep the scalp hydrated, and avoid dry scalp naturally. Here are some solutions you can do at home to prevent the condition:
- Method 1:
- You squeeze some lemons to get the juice.
- Then you add some honey and mix it well.
- Apply on the scalp and massage it for some minutes.
- Leave it for some minutes before rinsing off with shampoo and water.
- Method 2:
- Coconut oil and lemon juice will be excellent ingredients for dry scalp prevention. To make this paste, you heat a glass of coconut oil and mix it with some lemon juice.
- Then you apply on the scalp and leave it for an hour.
- Use a towel to wrap the hair and then you wash off with shampoo.
- You also can use lemon juice to mix it with some essential oils to take care of the scalp and your hair.
- Method 3:
The combination of coconut oil, lemon juice, and fuller’s earth will help your scalp healthy and prevent dry scalp effectually.
- Now you mix a teaspoon of coconut oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add some fuller’s earth and apply it on the scalp.
- Leave it for an hour and rinse off your hair with shampoo and water.
- You should do this remedy weekly to prevent the dry scalp problem.
4. Massage With Oil
Dehydration will lead to dry scalp and it is necessary to moisturize your scalp frequently. Massage can stimulate the production of sebum as well as help you relax. Also, massage with oil will prevent the dry scalp and here is the process how to prevent dry scalp with massage therapy:
- Firstly, you warm up ½ cup of an essential oil, you can microwave it for 30 seconds or until it gets warm.
- Then you cool it down and apply it on the scalp.
- Now you use your fingers to massage your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Lastly, you wash off your hair with conditioner and shampoo.
- By using this method, your hair will be healthier and prevent the condition very well.
Honey is an excellent food for health and it is also great for your hair care. Honey has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent and treat the dry scalp effectively. Here are some ways on how to prevent dry scalp with honey you can try:
- Method 1:
- You warm up some extra-virgin olive oil.
- Then add some honey in it.
- Mix well and apply on the scalp.
- Massage the scalp and use a towel to wrap your hair.
- You leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing off with shampoo.
- Method 2:
- You mix some tablespoons of olive oil, some tablespoons of organic honey, and some tablespoons of glycerin.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Shampoo your hair first and then apply the mixture to your scalp.
- You should repeat the method regularly to prevent the problem.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is the natural oil for treating dry scalp as well as dandruff effectively. By using this ingredient, you also can prevent the dry scalp permanently and here is the method how to prevent dry scalp with coconut oil:
- You prepare some pure coconut oil and warm it up.
- Then cool it down and mix it with some lemon juice and grapefruit juice.
- Stir it well and apply the mixture on the scalp.
- Massage gently and use a towel to wrap the hair.
- Leave it for 15 minutes before shampooing your hair as usual.
- You should repeat this way weekly to prevent the problem naturally.
Mayonnaise is made up of oil and eggs and it is a perfect ingredient to nourish your hair. It also includes vinegar that can fight fungus and bacteria very well. Here is the instruction how to use mayonnaise for dry scalp:
- Firstly, you prepare a half of glass of mayonnaise and apply it on the scalp.
- You massage your scalp completely and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Now you leave it for 15 minutes before washing off with water and shampoo.
- You should do it every week to get a stronger hair and healthy scalp.
Avocado is high in healthy oils vitamins, and minerals that can moisturize the skin, the scalp, and your hair. This fruit might soften your hair, keep the hair hydrated, and make it look glossy. Here is the way to use avocado for hair care you should give a try:
- You should mix some mashed avocado, a teaspoon of honey, and some tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir it well and apply it on your hair.
- Massage it for some minutes and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Now, you leave it for 30 minutes and wash your hair with warm water and shampoo.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera benefits your skin, nails, and your hair as it is a natural moisturizer you should take advantage of. Aloe vera can help you treat sunburns, treat sting, itchiness, reduce rashes, prevent scars, cure psoriasis, remove rosacea, treat wrinkles, eczema, treat vaginal irritations, relieve indigestion, reduce rheumatism pain, treat arthritis, heartburn, and etc. It is easy to plant and easy to find in the market so you should follow this remedy to prevent dry scalp:
- You take some aloe vera leaves and get it gels.
- Then, you blend the gels and apply aloe vera juice on the scalp.
- Now, you massage your scalp gently.
- Leave it for 15 minutes before washing off with water and shampoo.
- This ingredient is natural and safe for your hair so you should do it every week to have the best result.
10. Oils Your Scalp
It is very necessary to moisturize your hair with oils if you want to avoid dryness on the scalp. The oil will encourage the production of sebum and it will make the scalp healthier. This is the way to oil the scalp when you wash your hair.
- You wash your hair as usual.
- After that, you apply some oil to the scalp and massage your hair entirely with fingers.
- Leave it for some minutes.
- If you get a lot of flakes, you should not use this process as it can cause the problem worse.
Sugar is an available ingredient in your kitchen and you can take its effectiveness to take care of the scalp, especially in the winter. The process is:
- You take some tablespoons of brown sugar and put them into the bowl.
- Now you add some olive oil or favorite essential oil.
- Mix it well and apply the paste on the scalp.
- Massage the scalp completely before washing your hair with shampoo.
- You repeat this method weekly and see how healthy the scalp is.
Beer is not only a favorite drink, but it is also a great conditioner for hair that can prevent the dryness on the scalp. You can use beer to reduce the risk of vascular disease, prevent Alzheimer’s disease, lower the risk of diabetes, prevent kidney conditions, lower the risk of cancer, relieve cholesterol levels, improve bones, treat dandruff, and slow down the risk of strokes. How to prevent dry scalp with beer? Here is the direction:
- Method 1:
- You mix some tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with some cups of beer.
- Then, you apply the mixture to your hair as a conditioner after shampooing the hair.
- You should do the process every week to prevent the problem naturally.
- Method 2:
- You take some dark beer and mix it with jojoba oil.
- Now, you apply the mixture on the hair, massage for some minutes and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Then, you wash off your hair with shampoo and water as normal.
- Doing this treatment weekly, your hair will get stronger.
13. Baking Soda
Another excellent ingredient for dry scalp is baking soda, which can reduce itchy and dry scalp very well. Baking soda is also a good exfoliate and it can prevent as well as treat dandruff effectively. Here is the way to use baking soda to prevent dry scalp at home:
- The first step is you mix some baking soda with water as a good paste.
- Then, apply the mixture on the scalp and massage gently.
- Then, leave it for 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
- You repeat this method weekly for the best effect.
Banana is a delicious and nutritious fruit for health and for hair, as well. This fruit can be used to treat dry scalp and prevent the dryness on your hair. Banana might moisturize and nourish the scalp and it will get rid of the inflammation, dandruff, and flakes successfully.
- Firstly, you mash some bananas and mix it with some mashed avocado.
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with water completely.
- Do this remedy every week to have a healthier hair and scalp.
15. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is good in lubricating, healing, nourishing, and it is one of the best treatments for dry scalp. Sesame oil is very good for hair and it is used to take care of hair in many years ago. This oil can you’re your hair have beautiful color, reduce hair fall. Sesame oil is also good for your heart, skin, bone, metabolism, circulation, and inflammation. This oil relieves itchiness and prevents dry scalp very well and the method is:
- You heat some sesame oil until it gets warm.
- Then you use the oil to massage the scalp before bedtime.
- Then wrap a cover on the scalp and leave it over the night.
- You rinse the scalp completely in the next morning.
16. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a plant that you can use twigs, bark, and its leaf in medicine industry. This plant can be used to treat diarrhea, cough, fevers, colds, skin injury, inflammation, swelling, pain, insect bites, itching, irritations, and so on. Witch hazel has natural astringent and it can relieve or prevent itchy scalp and dry scalp, particularly in the winter. The method is:
- You mix some witch hazel with some water.
- Pour the mixture on the scalp and massage it naturally.
- Leave it for some minutes before you washing off the hair.
- You should do it every week to get the better result.
17. Jojoba Oil
How to prevent dry scalp naturally at home? A great advice for you is to use jojoba oil, which can hydrate and rejuvenate the scalp effectively. Also, jojoba oil can be used to remove makeup layer, moisturize the skin, soften the skin, use as a lip conditioner, shave the hair, and it is used to massage the scalp very well. The process is:
- You take the jojoba oil and apply it on the scalp.
- Massage it for some minutes before you sleep at night.
- Leave it over the night and wash your hair in the morning.
- You should repeat this treatment once per week.
18. Drink Water
Drinking water is a good routine to get rid of dryness on the skin and prevent dry scalp effectually. Every part of the body needs water to live and your hair needs water to keep hydration. You should keep the scalp moisturized and hydrated every day to prevent dry scalp. This is a simple and easy method to avoid dryness you should take advantage. With fresh water, you should supply more water through foods such as fruits, vegetables, fluids.
19. Eat Healthy Foods
Along with other pastes, you should supply enough proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals for hair because it helps hair grow stronger. As the result, you should eat whole grains, walnuts, salmon, fishes, eggs, fruits, and vegetables like spinach, etc. By eating healthy foods, you will have a great chance to improve your health as well as take care of your skin and hair better. Healthy foods will supply enough nutrients and vitamins for hair growth, so you should eat smartly and healthily to prevent disorders like dry scalp.
20. Get Vitamin E
Vitamins are necessary for your skin, hair and health and you should supply more vitamin E for preventing dry scalp and dry skin. Vitamin E can dissolve in fat and it is found in many foods that you eat every day. Vitamin E is used in preventing heart disease, blood vessels, chest pain, high blood pressure. This vitamin is also needed for brain health and preventing some diseases such as Parkinson’s disease. The good source of vitamin E are tomatoes, blueberries, sunflower seeds, almonds, tofu, spinach, nuts, avocados, fish, plant oils, broccoli, squash, pumpkin, etc. You can use vitamin E supplements after consulting your doctor.
21. Use Proper Shampoo And Conditioner
To prevent dry scalp effectively, you should choose the proper shampoo and conditioner whenever washing your hair. There are a lot of products for hair care on the market and you should read the label before buying it. Shampoos and conditioners with natural ingredients are great choices for your hair. You should choose sulfate-free shampoos because sulfate is harmful to your hair. Instead, you should choose the conditioners, shampoo with tea tree oil and other essential oils.
22. Take Care Of Your Hair Properly
In order to prevent dry scalp and dry hair, you should take care of your hair appropriately. For example, you should not style your hair over. Specifically, you should not straighten your hair and curl your hair too often. Styling your hair frequently will damage your hair and will make the scalp drier. The reason is that styling your hair with chemicals will make your hair damaged. Also, you should not wash your hair too often because washing your hair every day will make the hair dehydrate and the scalp will be dry naturally. Furthermore, you avoid hot water when rinsing off your hair because hot water will dry the scalp more.
You might visit our main page to get more Hair Tips and Tricks to take care your hair After reading the article about top 22 tips on how to prevent dry scalp, I hope that you have learned some helpful information to avoid dryness on your scalp. Those treatments are natural and safe so you can do it every week at home. If you have any question, please leave your comments below.
Related article about dry scalp: