Roaches or cockroaches can be the nastiest creatures you could imagine sharing your home with them! They can transmit disease as well as spread the bacteria all over your house. Of course, you have the pest control guy and also the exterminator for help but all these chemicals to kill them are not good for you, your children, pets, and human living with you. Therefore, you should adopt some home treatments to kill the roaches permanently and naturally! These methods are also inexpensive when compared to the invoices of pest control companies!
There are various ways to fight against these roaches. You may get some natural ingredients that work as repellents and remove these roaches from your home. Then, you may also get some other natural ingredients, which kill them and help you to eliminate these creatures permanently until others of their species do not find in your home! In addition, there are also a few tricks to trap these roaches in case you do not want to kill them.
In this writing, VKool.com will show to you top 16 ways on how to get rid of roaches naturally at home without any side effect. This article listed the best methods to get rid of roaches from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this article to learn these useful methods on how to get rid of roaches naturally at home!
Top 14 Ways On How To Get Rid Of Roaches Naturally And Fast
1. Coffee Grinds And Water
Whether the caffeine present in the coffee can kill these roaches or its aroma can act as bait is still a debatable point. In fact, the core of this theory is that ground coffee is one of the effective ways on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast at home. They can feed on any organic food and if you’ve ever noticed, they are particularly attracted to ground coffee among many other foods. Therefore, you can use coffee grind to lure them and remove them.
- Wet coffee grinds
- Clean water
- Large glass jars
- Small cups
- At first, you fill the glass jars with clean water about halfway.
- Then, you place wet coffee grinds into each of the small cups.
- Next, you place these cups inside all the jars.
- After that, you place the jars along the baseboards or against the walls or other places where the roaches are possibly nesting.
- What happens is that roaches are attracted to the scent of the coffee grind and then enter the jar. When they enter into the jar, they cannot escape from there.
- When you have laid these jars to attract these roaches, you have to check them daily. If you see the jars have a number of roaches, you can dump them along with a little water into the toilet. Nevertheless, before discarding these roaches, you have to take these cups out of the jars.
- Now, you fill these jars again with clean water and place wet coffee grinds into the cups and repeat this process.
- You should do this way until you do not find any roach in the jars with coffee grinds.
Learn more: Negative adverse effects of coffee on your body
2. Fabric Softener And Water
Fabric softener is another effective way on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast at home. Cockroaches breathe through their skin; therefore, when you spray a solution preparing from fabric softener and water onto them, it will suffocate them, make them more difficult to breathe, and finally, they get killed.
- Natural fabric softener – 3 parts
- Clean water- 2 parts
- A spray bottle
- Firstly, you mix the fabric softener with clean water to make a thick solution.
- Then, you fill this spray bottle with the thick solution.
- Now, you spray this solution over any cockroach. You may even spray this at some places where these roaches are hiding.
See more: The book of 3 week diet
3. Borax And Sugar
As mentioned above, the organic food will attract these roaches and so you should do anything sweet! This way uses sugar to trap them, but borax is used to remove them! Borax can be considered as effective as the spray used by a commercial exterminator. It can dehydrate the exoskeleton of these roaches and damage their digestive system too. This is enough to combat them.
Here are simple directions of a useful way on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast that you should not pass!
- At first, you take equal amounts of sugar and borax and then mix them well.
- Next, you apply the mixture along the baseboards, under your cabinets and sink, into the cracks, or other places where you often see the cockroaches.
- You will see a lot of dead roaches in several hours.
Precaution: Borax is a poison and thus you need to use it very cautiously, particularly if you have pets or kids at home. You should sprinkle the borax along with sugar in higher places or other places where your pets and kids cannot reach. You have to label the container or the jar that you store this borax so that there is no accident happening in future.
4. Baking Soda And Sugar
As mentioned above, the borax and sugar mixture can make poisonous bait for these roaches. Now, if you don’t want to use borax because of the presence of your kids and pets in the house, you can try mixing sugar with baking soda to make effective bait for these roaches at your home. In fact, sugar attracts these roaches and baking soda can affect to the digestive system of these cockroaches. Then, it results in the buildup of so much gas in the creature that will make them die. Therefore, the combination of baking soda and sugar is another effective way on how to get rid of roaches fast at home!
- Baking soda
- Firstly, you take equal amounts of sugar and baking soda and mix them well.
- Next, you sprinkle the mixture in the areas where are infested by these roaches.
- When they eat the mixture, they will die.
5. Ammonia And Water Solution
Ammonia also works as a repellent for these roaches thanks to its pungent smell. Hence, you can make it become a habit to cleanse the hard surfaces with the solution of water and ammonia.
Here is an easy method on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast that you should try!
- 2 cup of ammonia
- 1 bucket of water
- At first, you add ammonia into the bucket of water.
- Now, you rinse the hard surfaces of the kitchen, bathroom, and other places with the solution.
- Roaches will leave the home soon, but you should keep on using the solution for at least one time in two weeks to stop them from entering the house again.
6. Catnip Herb
Catnip herb is considered as a natural repellent for these roaches that you may use as one of other ways on how to get rid of roaches naturally and safely without harming your kids and pets. The active ingredient present in catnip is nepetalactone that is non-toxic to pets and humans.
- 1 teaspoon of catnip
- Firstly, you simmer catnip in water to make a catnip tea.
- Then, you fill a spray bottle with this tea and use it as a spray.
- Now, you spray it behind counters and around the baseboards or anywhere you doubt that these roaches are hiding in your house.
- Or, you can get small sachets of this herb and leave them at some places where you find cockroaches.
Precaution: While this herb is safe for your pets, it may make cats go crazy. Therefore, if you own a cat in your home, you should look for some other remedies to get rid of cockroaches.
If you want to know more other useful ways on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast at home, you should continue reading the next part of this writing!
7. Cayenne Pepper, White Onion, Garlic, And Water
When it comes to making a natural repellent for these roaches, you do not forget this cayenne pepper. Places where there is this pepper, these roaches won’t like to live there. Although it is is not clear that this is due to its smell or due to some ingredients in it, cayenne pepper does work. You should not skip the way below if you want to know how to get rid of roaches naturally at home!
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- A crushed garlic clove
- A crushed white onion
- 4 cups of water
- A spray bottle
- At first, you take red or cayenne pepper.
- Then, you mix it with the crushed white onion and garlic clove.
- Now, you boil the water and add all these above ingredients into the boiling hot water.
- After that, you put off the heat and wait for a few minutes until it cools down.
- Finally, you pour this mixture into the spray bottle and spray it in some roach-infested areas.
- Or, you can also sprinkle this pepper behind objects or places where you see these roaches.
8. Make Sticky Trap
You can trap these cockroaches in a way that they are unable to escape. In this way, you use super-strength packaging tape! All you need to do is to keep the sticky tape side up. If this does not work, you should get glue boards that are used to catch mice.
- Packaging tapes
- At first, you place the tapes behind the stove and refrigerator and along the countertops and baseboards. You have to remember to keep the sticky tape side up.
- You can do this process at night before you go to sleep because these cockroaches are the most active at night.
- If you have cockroaches, you should catch them in the morning.
- You should do this method daily until you do not see them for a few days.
- If it is a lot of work, you just place these glue boards at some places where you find roaches.
9. Essential Oils, Borax, And Baking Soda
There are a lot of pleasant smells that humans like but cockroaches, flies, and other insects can’t stand them. They include rosemary oil, eucalyptus, fir, lemon, and cedar oil. You may always pour some drops of these oils on a cotton ball and put this ball near insect-infested areas. This is a useful way on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast using these oils along with borax and baking soda. This will also leave your house a pleasant smelling.
- 10 to 12 drops of cedar essential oil
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil
- White fir essential oil- 4 drops
- 2 cups of baking soda
- 4 tablespoons of borax
- Firstly, you add all the above ingredients into a bowl.
- Then, you mix them well.
- Now, you sprinkle the mixture at some places where you find cockroaches. You can even sprinkle it on upholstered furniture and carpets. Borax and baking soda absorb soil, odors, and oils. This will make your furniture and carpets fresh and clean.
- After that, you leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, you remove soda residues with a vacuum cleaner. Sometimes, you do not want to clean it behind the cabinets.
- This way not only kills and repels roaches but also repels ticks, fleas, spiders, bedbugs, mites, etc.
10. Make A Cucumber Trap
While not many people found that this remedy is too effective, some people still say it does work well. Anyway, cucumbers are almost usually in your refrigerator so it does not hurt to experiment with its peel to find out if these roaches in your home really react to them! When you place cucumber peels in aluminum, it may react to the metal to produce such a stink, which is not tolerable to cockroaches and they die off.
To learn how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast at home using cucumber peels, you can follow this way.
- Fresh cucumber peels
- An aluminum bottle
- At first, you place the cucumber peels into the bottle.
- Now, you place this bottle near a site where there are many cockroaches.
- Finally, you just wait for them to die away.
Read more: Beauty and household advantages of cucumbers
11. Bay Leaf
This can be considered as a homemade repellent that can drive roaches away from your house instead of killing them. Being an herb spice used widely in Asian cooking, the bay leaf may be found easily in many stores selling Asian or Indian spices. It is believed that cockroaches cannot stand the smell of these leaves and thus you may use it as another effective way on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast even without killing them.
- A handful of bay leaves
- A mortar or pestle
- Firstly, you crush these bay leaves to take its powder. Bay leaves are already dried and you can grind it easily.
- Now, you sprinkle this powder near some places nesting roaches.
- The cockroaches will soon leave your house and go other places where they can get their favorite foods.
12. Soda Bottle Traps
Although you may always purchase cockroach traps, if you put a little effort and have time, you may use some empty soda bottles to prepare roach traps at home. Here is how you may make one.
- A plastic soda bottle
- A tape
- A sharp knife
- Firstly, you take the plastic soda bottle and then cut off its top by using the sharp knife
- Now, you take the detached top of this bottle and place it into the body of this bottle in the inverted position. You have to open up its cap. It should act as a funnel inside this soda bottle.
- Next, you use the tape around its rim to keep it in place.
- After that, you mix a little water and soap together and pour this mixture into the bottle.
- Finally, you place this homemade cockroach trap at some places where cockroaches are seen often.
- They will crawl into this bottle and will drown.
13. Boric Acid
Boric acid is used widely by the commercial pest control. And thus it is a toxic way on how to get rid of roaches and it is only one of the final options if you have fed up with the nasty creatures.
- Boric acid
- At first, you put boric acid on the top of your kitchen cabinets or your bathroom cabinets.
- You do not put boric acid inside the cabinets. Remember that they are toxic.
- You can actually put it between cabinets and ceiling if it is possible. Roaches often like high places and this effort will not go waste.
- In this way, roaches will take this acid to their nests and kill their species.
Precaution: you have to take utmost care to hold boric acid away from your kids and pets. You should wash your hands properly and completely after putting boric acid. It is better for you to use gloves to do this way and wash off these gloves immediately after putting boric acid into the desirable places.
14. Hair Spray
You can even use this simple hair spray that is present in your house to kill roaches. Because the spray is so sticky, it can make the wings roaches are glued so that they cannot escape. It can also seal the breathing orifices of these roaches and thus they will suffocate and die.
- Hair spray
- A damp cloth
- Firstly, you spray this hair spray solution at the places where you find cockroaches.
- When they die, you put them in the dustbin and then clean the areas where you spray with the hairspray by using the damp cloth.
Precautions: Hairspray is a highly flammable ingredient. You do not use this around an open flame. It is better for you not to use the same remedy in your kitchen.
Additional Tips To Prevent And Remove Roaches:
If you do not want these unwelcome guests in your home, you have to remove their supply. Roaches also have basic needs like humans such as food, shelter, and water. Therefore, you do not let food be available to them by storing food properly and avoiding spills. You have to keep drains clean and fix your leaking pipes. In addition, you should also keep your home clean, warm moist dirty places, and free of clutter because such places often become the shelter of cockroaches. Here are some useful tips for you to prevent roaches from entering into your house and if these roaches have already entered, you can also find some other tips to keep them away from your house.
- You have to eliminate all the clutter from anywhere in your house.
- You should keep your home clean by vacuuming often and well and clean floors daily. You should pay special attention to walls, cabinets, moldings, baseboards, furniture, etc. while cleaning.
- You have to vacuum and then sponge mops your kitchen floor every week. You should mop up all the remaining water.
- You have to wash all the hard surfaces such as sinks with cleansers.
- The places where are hard to reach, not visible, and hard to clean every day need to be fixed with something to remove roaches. You can dust these areas with boric acid powder.
- You should seal any openings and cracks with caulk. You may find such openings and cracks where the ceiling and the wall meet, the floor and the wall meet, around pipes and baseboards, window and door moldings, inside cabinets, and around the sink.
Simple Tips To Cut Off Their Food Supply:
- You always keep stored food in your refrigerator or in sealed containers. It is better to keep it in the fridge.
- You should try to paint the cabinet shelves and drawers with enamel. You always keep them clean.
- You do not allow the garbage lay to open. You have to use covered dustbins in your kitchen and places where there is moist garbage. Instead, you have to keep these covered garbage containers outside.
- You should keep everything in your kitchen clean and wash your dishes, tables, stovetops, and counters every day without fail.
- You have to store anything edible including some dry items such as flour, sugar, cereal, crackers, and pasta in covered containers. Remember that they are also the foods attracting roaches.
Easy Tips To Cut Off Their Water Supply:
- You have to fix all the leaks present in your house. Pipes, taps, and flush tanks can leak water.
- You need to clean drains every day.
- You should keep the places in your house dry and clean. Kitchen and bathroom should be dry and clean. You should also mop any water after the area gets wet.
Useful Tips To Remove Their Hiding Places:
- Unused furniture, food, clothing, and appliances are clutter. You have to give them away or throw them away.
- You have to clean the clutter from the storage spaces such as shelves, closets, drawers, etc. and throw away everything, which is junk.
- You do not use shelf paper because roaches like to hide under them.
- You must repair your home regularly, seal openings and cracks and also remove chipped paint.
- You need to check your books in your drawers or shelves or wherever you store these books. In addition, you have to check under the electronics and sink and behind picture frames for cockroaches to clean them regularly.
- If there is the wallpaper on the walls, you have to make sure that it is not loosening. You need to remove or repair loosened wallpapers. It is true for plaster.
If you want to know more about natural ways for improving your life, go to our main Lifestyle page. After reading the article of top 14 ways on how to get rid of roaches, hope that you can find out the best solutions to get rid of roaches naturally and fast at home. Nevertheless, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your experts to get advice before applying any natural way. If you have any question, or you know other ways on how to get rid of roaches naturally and fast at home, please leave them below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How to be a better person and be happy in life
- 18 different uses for cucumbers are exposed: beauty & household
- 13 amazing health benefits of cardamom for men & women
- Top 6 Therapies Of Acute Post-traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment
- 7 Home remedies for hives on face and on neck
- 13 Home remedies for peptic ulcer pain for people at all ages
- Learn to play soccer now with 10 soccer tips for beginners!
- Top 10 Health Benefits Of Oregano