Most people think cancer affect part of body such as lung or breast. However, cancer can also occur in the mouth, where the disease can affect the lips, tongue, cheek or throat. Anyone can be affected by mouth cancer. According to the latest report, there were 6767 people diagnosed with mouth cancer. Mouth cancer claims more lives per year than cervical and testicular cancer combined. Therefore, it is necessary to know more about this cancer as a silent killer. In this article, I will show you early signs of mouth cancer that help you detect it early.
I. Mouth Cancer – General Information:
Mouth cancer, also known as oral cancer is cancer where a tumor occurs in any part of the mouth; on the tongue’s surface, in the lips, inside the cheek, in the gums, in the roof and floor of the mouth, in the tonsils, and the salivary glands.
There are two systems of stages of mouth cancer, but I want to introduce the number stage for you because it can help you easily understand.
- Stage 0: It is called “the pre-cancer stage”. Cancer cells are all contained in the lining of the mouth and have not spread, yet true cancer. Therefore, the pre-cancer needs to be treated early to reduce the chance of developing into invasive cancer.
- Stage 1: It is known as the earliest stage of invasive cancer because cancer cell has begun to grow through deeper tissues underneath. The cancer is no more than 2cm and has not spread to nearby tissues, lymph node and another
- Stage 2: In this stage, the tumor is larger than 2cm, less than 4cm, and yet it has spread to lymph node.
- Stage 3: One of two things will happen. The cancer is bigger than 4cm but it has spread to lymph node and other parts of the body. Or the tumor is any side and has spread to lymph node on the same side of the neck as cancer as a result lymph node is no more than 3cm
- Stage 4: This stage is divided into 3 stages:
- In this stage, cancer has grown through the tissues around the lips and mouth and lymph node may or may not contain cancer cells.
- That means cancer is any size and has spread to more than lymph node on the same side of the neck as the cancer or the both side of the neck, any lymph node is bigger than 6cm.
- This cancer has spread to any other parts of the body such as lungs or bones.
II.Most Common Early Signs Of Mouth Cancer You Should Know:
Mouth cancers are more common in people over 40, particularly men. Mouth cancer is twice more common in the men than women. 86% of cases are diagnosed in those over 50. More than 90% of mouth cancer in men and 85% in women are linked to lifestyle and environment factors. Therefore, it is important to find it early and receive the treatment as soon as possible. Here is the list of early signs of mouth cancer that help you take the chance to prevent the disease, which include:
- Bad Breath
- White Or Red Patches In Throat Or Mouth
- Ulcers Do Not Heal
- Abnormal Weight Loss
- A Lump Or Thickening In The Cheek
- Speech Problems
- Difficulty In Swallowing
- Long-Lasting Cough
Some people have bad breath in some time due to some factors, but you have bad breath if you have trouble in the mouth. If the condition lasts in the long time and you make use of useful way to control it but it does not work, you should see doctor and receive the treatment.
2. White Or Red Patches In The Throat Or Mouth:
It can be called the first signs of mouth cancer. An abnormal looking patch in the mouth or throat may look like red or white. These patches are not cancer, but it may lead cancer if they left untreated. A fungal infection is called thrush that leaves a sore that causes white or red patches. If you anti the thrush and patches go away, they are not related to mouth cancer.
3. Ulcers Do Not Heal:
What is an early sign of mouth cancer? Mouth ulcer is one of the early signs of mouth cancer. A broken area of skin (ulcer) does not go away and not always painful. It lasts a long time without any obvious nearby cause. If any ulcer lasts longer than three week, you should go to dentist. Ulcers caused by cancer appear on or under the tongue, but sometimes appear on somewhere else in the mouth.
Unhealed ulcers can be one of the early signs of mouth cancer that we should watch it out.
Read more: Top Most Important Warning Signs Of Cancer
4. AbnormalWeight Loss:
Mouth pain makes you eat less and difficult to swallow. See your doctor if you lose weight about 4 or 5kg in the short time without dieting. It is also common signs of mouth cancer.
5. A Lump Or Thickening In The Cheek:
You may have a lump in the neck caused by an enlarged lymph node. They can be one or more swelling lymph nodes if you are affected by the mouth or oropharyngeal cancer. A hot, red or painful lump means that you have infection rather than cancer. In the case a lump slowly gets bigger, it can be related to cancer. This is one of the signs of mouth cancer that you should pay attention.
6. Speech Problems:
Mouth cancer can also affect your voice, which makes your voice become different. It is possibly quieter and husky. You sometime slur some of the words and have trouble pronouncing some words. If you have this symptom, it is important to see your doctor and get some treatment if you feel one of the mentioned sign which is also the most common signs of mouth cancer.
7. Difficulty In Swallowing:
Pain or a burning sensation can be resulted from mouth cancer when chewing or swallowing. You can feel that your food is sticking in your throat. This is another sign of mouth cancer that I want to reveal in this article.
8. Long-Lasting Cough:
This is the last out of the most common signs of mouth cancer that you should not ignore. If you catch a cough in the long time and have trouble in your voice, you should see doctor when it becomes serious.
Bonus: Apart from the list of common signs of mouth cancer that I mentioned above, there have other signs of mouth cancer that I also bring to this article includes:
- Trouble moving the jaw or tongue
- Loose teeth for no apparent reason
- Unusual bleeding or numbness in the mouth
- A lump in the mouth or throat.
- A lump or thickening on the lip
It is important to see your doctor or dentist if you have any of these condition lasts more than two weeks so that the cause can be found and treated.
In this article, I would like to release some information about the cause of mouth cancer that can help people increase the knowledge about the threat.
There are two main causes of the mouth cancer that are alcohol and tobacco. They can increase the risks of mouth cancer. However, many recent reports show that HPV is also a major cause of mouth cancer but few people are aware of HPV as the leading cause of mouth cancer.
One of the risk factor for the chances developing the mouth cancer is smoking tobacco. Smoker runs the highest risk of mouth cancer. Two-thirds of mouth cancer cases are linked to smoking tobacco. However, some people are unaware of the bad effects of smoking so it is important to adapt the information and help them quit this bad habit to prevent mouth cancer. There have a lot of tips to quit smoking that are mentioned in the List Of The Best And Effective Ways To Quit Smoking you can learn and make use for good. This article is actually great collection of effective and useful tips for those who want to quit smoking.
An entire article includes eight early signs of mouth cancer that both women and men reading this article on Vkool.com and other people those who are facing with this disease should learn and make use for good. Because one in ten people is unaware of threat of mouth cancer, after reading this article, I hope that you have realized the risk of the cancer and get the best information that is necessary for effectively preventing this cancer. By learning more about mouth cancer, we can overcome this growing threat and save a thousand lives but we can increase the chance of staying cancer free and know how to healthy lifestyles choices.
If you have any question, do not hesitate to leave your feedbacks and comments below this article. If you have useful information about this cancer, please share with us. We highly appreciate your contribution.
Besides, Vkool.com contains more articles related to cancer that brings to you more information and prevention ways.
Related articles about other cancers and tips on how to prevent them:
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 19 Natural Ways To Increase Testosterone And Decrease Estrogen
- Folliculitis doctor PDF review – will Michael Stone’s guide work?
- How to treat sinus infection naturally without antibiotics
- Natural health benefits of honey for skin, hair and body
- Home remedies for fever blisters, itchy throat and cough
- How to get rid of puffy eyelids fast and naturally – 13 tips
- What are top health benefits of quinoa you can get?
- Muscle imbalances revealed review – is Rick’s system reliable?