Fenugreek is also called methi. This popular herb commonly grows in the Mediterranean region. However, fenugreek contains strong medicinal properties. People use this herb in Ayurvedic medicine. Therefore, it gains a lot of popularities. Fenugreek is well-known for a lot of health and beauty benefits. In this article, we would like to introduce to you some benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves that can help you to be healthy, beautiful and young.
Benefits Of Fenugreek Seeds And Leaves – Powerful Benefits That You Should Know
Fenugreek seeds have a great nutritional value. This herb is rich in manganese, iron, magnesium, copper, vitamin B6, and phosphorus. Moreover, fenugreek also has a lot of powerful phytonutrients. Both fenugreek seeds and leaves possess antioxidant, antimicrobial, antidiabetic, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Fenugreek seeds and leaves are used not only for cooking but also for medicinal purposes. The fenugreek seeds possess a pungent aroma and flavor while the leaves own a slightly bitter taste. The seeds can be ground or dried. Moreover, in order to get the fenugreek benefits, you can take fenugreek supplements and extracts after consulting your doctor carefully.
Here are the benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves we would like to share in VKool.com.
1. Control Diabetes
Fenugreek is recommended for people who suffer from diabetes. Controlling diabetes is one of the benefits of fenugreek seeds for health. Fenugreek contains hypoglycemic properties that can play the important role in lowering blood sugar levels and improving glucose tolerance. Moreover, fenugreek is rich in fiber. We all know that fiber is beneficial in slowing down the absorption of sugar and carbohydrates.
According to a study published in 2009 in the International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic of fenugreek seeds can work for patients who experience Type 2 diabetes. This study also showed that consuming fenugreek seeds soaked in a glass of hot water daily can help to control high blood sugar.
A study published in 2009 in the Journal of Medicinal Food suggested that eating baked goods made from fenugreek flour can control insulin resistance in patients with Type 2 diabetes.
Here is one of the effective ways you can use fenugreek to control diabetes
- Soak one or two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a glass of hot water
- Leave it overnight
- Drinking this water and chewing these fenugreek seeds with your empty stomach
- Repeat this treatment daily
However, it is important for you to know that consuming fenugreek seeds together with diabetes medication can result in low blood sugar. Therefore, if you want to use fenugreek seeds as an effective home remedy for diabetes, you should consult your doctor carefully.
One of the best benefits of fenugreek for people at all ages is controlling diabetes, so try it!
2. Good For Breast Milk Production
Fenugreek is recommended for nursing moms because it can help to stimulate breast milk production. The possible reason may be that both fenugreek seeds and leaves can work as powerful galactagogues.
According to a study published in 2011 in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, fenugreek can boost the breast milk production and increase infant’s weight in early postnatal days.
Moreover, fenugreek is rich in vitamin and magnesium that can boost the quality of breast milk. We all know that the breast milk is needed for the newborn baby. Breast milk ensures the normal growth and development for your baby. Fenugreek can relieve post-delivery problems including body aches and flatulence.
Here are the ways you can take advantages of benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves to boost milk production.
- Soak 10 grams of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Leave it overnight. Boil the water and soaked fenugreek seeds in the morning for a couple of minutes. Strain it. It is recommended drinking this solution every morning.
- Add some fenugreek leaves to your stews, your soups and salads.
Furthermore, you can take 1 capsule of fenugreek seeds three times daily. However, you should consult your doctor carefully.
3. Balance Cholesterol Levels
Asking for the benefits of fenugreek seeds, you cannot ignore cholesterol level regulation. Fenugreek is loaded with soluble fiber that can improve the digestive system and block the absorption of bile acids and cholesterol into your body. Therefore, consumption of fenugreek is effective in lowering the low-density lipoprotein known bad cholesterol levels in your blood. High levels of bad cholesterol can lead to blockages in the blood vessels, increasing the risk of stroke or heart attack.
A study published in the Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology in 2016 was conducted in rats and showed the reduction of bad cholesterol levels. It also showed that fenugreek seeds contain the protective effect on induced oxidation of LDL (the low-density lipoprotein). Moreover, further human studies should be conducted.
In order to use fenugreek as an effective home remedy for high cholesterol levels, you just need to take 2 ounces of fenugreek seeds during the day. You roast the fenugreek seeds and then grind them into a powder. You can sprinkle fenugreek powder into prepared food or a glass of warm water. Consume it daily to get a significant relief.
Read more: Common Causes Of High Cholesterol
4. Good For Your Heart Health
One of the benefits of fenugreek is improving heart health. The possible explanation is that fenugreek contains cardioprotective and antioxidant benefits. Consumption of fenugreek can prevent blood clots. Blood clots may inhibit the blood flow to your lungs, heart, and brain. Moreover, fenugreek can reduce blood pressure.
Moreover, because of its strong modulating effect, fenugreek can keep atherosclerosis at bay. It reduces the risk of heart disease by fighting obesity and stabilizing blood sugar.
It is recommended drinking one or two cups of fenugreek seed tea a day to have a good heart health. Here is the instruction on how to make fenugreek seed tea.
- Put 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds into 2 cups of water
- Boil this solution for a couple of minutes
- Strain this solution
- Add a little honey to make this tea sweeter
- Drink it daily
5. Relieve Joint Pain
The consumption of fenugreek is beneficial in relieving joint pain caused by arthritis. It is also one of the benefits of fenugreek. Moreover, fenugreek has diosgenin that boosts the production of cortisone as well as other corticosteroids in your body.
Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of fenugreek can ease inflammation and pain. Moreover, fenugreek contains a great source of nutrients such as iron, calcium, and phosphorous that is necessary for healthy tissues and bones
Here are the ways you can use to treat joint pain with fenugreek.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in a glass of water. Leave it overnight and boil it in the morning. Consume it every morning to reduce joint pain.
- Mix fenugreek seed powder with a sufficient water to create a thick paste. Apply this paste to affected areas. Let it dry for a couple of minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. You should repeat this treatment daily until the joint pain disappears completely.
Read more: List Of Foods To Avoid With Arthritis
6. Cure Constipation
Fenugreek is loaded with soluble fiber that is beneficial in adding bulk to the stools and absorbing water in the intestines. Therefore, consuming fenugreek seeds daily can help to ease constipation.
Moreover, it also alleviates stomach pain and indigestion. Fenugreek can treat acid reflux and heartburn by soothing gastrointestinal inflammation.
Here are the ways that can help you to treat constipation with fenugreek seeds and leaves.
- Steep one cup of fenugreek leaves in a sufficient amount of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Let this solution cool down for a few minutes. Add a little honey to make this solution sweeter. Consume it daily to get a significant relief.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of fenugreek seed powder into a glass of warm water. Consume it before bedtime.
However, it is important to know that using benefits of fenugreek as a home remedy for constipation is not suitable for small children.
7. Relieve The Colds And Flu
Fenugreek can relieve the colds and flu because it contains antioxidant properties. When you look for the benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves, you should not ignore that. The antibacterial, antiviral, as well as other medicinal properties, can get rid of the microorganisms that cause the colds and flu.
Moreover, the mucilage in fenugreek is effective in alleviating sore throat, cough, and pain caused by the sickness. It can ease a fever.
Here are the ways on how to relieve the colds and flu with fenugreek.
- Combine one teaspoon each of lemon juice, fenugreek powder, and raw honey. Consume this mixture twice a day to get the relief from flu and cold symptoms.
- Drink two or three cups of fenugreek tea daily to fasten the healing process.
- Gargle your sore throat with warm fenugreek twice daily to relieve the discomfort
8. Alleviate Menstrual Discomfort
Compounds in fenugreek contain estrogen-like properties that can relieve menstrual discomfort. These compounds can alleviate menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, mood fluctuations, and depression.
Moreover, fenugreek has a great source of iron that plays the important role in boosting new red blood cell production and preventing the loss of blood.
In order to alleviate menstrual discomfort, you should drink fenugreek tea twice a day. Moreover, you can take benefits of fenugreek leaves in your meals such as salads or soups.
9. Boost Hair Growth And Strength
Fenugreek is beneficial for hair growth and strength because it has a great source of protein. Moreover, fenugreek is rich in lecithin that can add more moisture to your hair and make your hair more manageable.
In order to boost hair growth, you can make a remedy with fenugreek seed powder and coconut milk. Here is the instruction taking benefits of fenugreek:
- Add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seed powder into a sufficient amount of coconut milk to create a smooth paste
- Apply this paste to your scalp and your hair
- Leave it for at least 30 minutes
- Shampoo your hair
- Repeat this treatment once a week
10. Eliminate Aging Signs
Looking for the benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves, you should not ignore its benefits of skin. Fenugreek seeds are leaves contains antioxidant effects that can eliminate the aging signs such as fine lines and wrinkles.
You will need:
- One tablespoon of fenugreek seeds
- One tablespoon of sugar-free plain yogurt
- Soak fenugreek seeds in a glass of water and leave it overnight
- Blend these soaked fenugreek seeds and mix with plain yogurt to create a smooth paste
- Apply this smooth paste to your face
- Let it sit on your skin for at least 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
Many studies showed great antioxidant activity in fenugreek seeds. These antioxidants can fight against the free radicals that fasten the process of aging and reduce the aging signs.
Yogurt has a great source of lactic acid that is effective in exfoliating your skin. It boosts the production of new skin cells. If applied regularly, the combination of fenugreek seeds and plain yogurt can make your skin smoother and softer.
11. Reduce Acnes
Fenugreek can help to get rid of acnes and pimples as one of the benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves. It is the good news for suffers from acnes. Fenugreek contains a compound called diosgenin that is known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is the reason why fenugreek is effective in reducing acnes and pimples.
You will need:
- 4 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds
- Soak 4 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water and leave it overnight
- Boil these soaked fenugreek seeds in water for a couple of minutes in the morning
- Strain this liquid
- Wait until it cools down a little bit
- Dab this fenugreek water onto your face skin with a cotton wool
You can make more and store the excess fenugreek water in a refrigerator for later use.
Read more: Tips To Get Rid Of Acnes Naturally At Home
12. Moisturize Your Skin
Fenugreek seeds contain moisturizing effects. Therefore, it can help to nourish your skin and improve skin dryness. If you are looking for benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves, you should not ignore that.
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Mix water with fenugreek seed powder in order to create a smooth paste
- Spread this mixture to your face skin
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
If you want to get the satisfactory result, you should repeat this treatment several times a week.
13. Prevent Hair Loss
Fenugreek can prevent hair loss by strengthening the hair root and promoting hair growth. Moreover, regular application of fenugreek is also effective in treating follicular problems. This is because fenugreek has a good source of nicotine and protein that play the important role in preventing breakage and adding hair shaft.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- Mix fenugreek seeds with coconut oil
- Place the mixture in a jar
- Seal the jar and store it in a cool place for three weeks to avoid the sunlight
- Strain the oil
- Take this oil and apply it to your hair and your scalp
- Massage your scalp gently for a few minutes
- Let it sit for 2 hours or overnight
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
You should repeat this treatment two or three times a week to get a good result.
Read more: Uses Of Lemon For Hair Loss
14. Make Your Hair Shiny
Fenugreek has a great source of lecithin. Therefore, if fenugreek seeds are soaked in water for a couple of minutes, they can produce a slippery substance that adds shine to your hair. If you want to look for home remedies that can make your hair look glossy and shiny, you should not ignore a fenugreek seed mask. It is also one of the benefits of fenugreek seeds.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in one cup of boiling water
- Leave this solution overnight
- Grind these soaked fenugreek seeds into a paste in the morning
- Apply this paste to your scalp and your hair
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes
- Wash it off with your normal shampoo and warm water
This treatment should be repeated two or three times a week for a satisfactory result.
15. Get Rid Of Dandruff
Dandruff is a common hair problem. It occurs mostly during the winter. Dandruff results from fungal infection and dry scalp. Therefore, fenugreek can help to get rid of dandruff. Fenugreek seeds can be used to treat dermatitis.
You just need to soak one or two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of boiling water and leave it overnight. In the morning, you can grind these soaked fenugreek seeds into a smooth powder. Apply this powder to your scalp and your hair, Massage your scalp gently and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
You should repeat this treatment regularly.
16. Aid Digestion
If you suffer from digestion-related problems, you just need to add fenugreek seeds in your daily meals such as your soups and your salads. Fenugreek is an effective remedy for indigestion and gastritis. Moreover, eating fenugreek regularly can help to reduce the risk of constipation as well as stomach ulcers. This spice is considered as a natural digestive tonic. Fenugreek has lubricating properties that can soothe your intestines and stomach.
17. Protect Your Liver
Your liver plays the important role in cleansing the toxins from your body. If your liver is injured, it can impact on your health. Excessive liver intake can damage the liver function. Many studies showed that fenugreek seeds are beneficial in protecting your liver from the impact of alcohol intake.
Fenugreek seeds can prevent the impact of the alcohol toxicity and chronic liver damage because fenugreek contains the polyphenolic compounds.
18. Aid In Weight Loss
If you want to find the best home remedy for weight loss, you should not ignore fenugreek seeds. It is also one of the benefits of fenugreek seeds. In order to lose weight effectively, you should start with the suitable exercise program and a healthy diet. But one of the effective simple tricks for weight loss is including healthy spices such as fenugreek in your daily diet. Fenugreek seeds can help your stomach feel full faster. As a result, you can eat less later. Bothe fenugreek seeds and leaves have a strong flavor and bitter taste. It is recommended adding fenugreek in your daily diet for weight loss.
If you want to use fenugreek seeds for weight loss, you just need to chew soaked fenugreek seeds in the morning with your empty stomach. Doing it daily for a few weeks can help you to lose some unwanted kilos of your body.
Moreover, fenugreek is low in carbohydrate. It prevents you from gaining weight. If you want to lose weight, you should reduce the calorie intake. Fenugreek is low in calorie. Therefore, if you are looking for the benefits of fenugreek, you should not ignore the weight loss.
Fenugreek is one of the great spices in the world. It is undeniable that healthy drinks and foods play the important role in a healthy diet. A healthy diet should include vegetables, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats, low-fat dairy, and whole grains. Moreover, it is recommended adding spices in your daily diet. If you add spices to your meals, it can add the good taste. Moreover, spices are rich in antioxidants that can fight against many diseases and conditions. Knowing Natural Healing Herbs And Spices can help to improve your health.
One more thing people should do after reading this list of the most effective benefits of fenugreek is to spend time reading another article named Benefits Of Cashew Nuts: 12 Advantages For Health, Skin & Hair. This is another combination of benefits of cashew nut – also a nutritious type of natural ingredients that is very good for health and can help to improve the condition of human hair, skin and also the overall health. The benefits of cashew nuts introduced in this recommended article are 100% proven by science so that people should learn and feel secure about the information and knowledge revealed in the article. Everything you should and need to do is very simple – just read this recommended article and give it a chance to help you in improving the health of your hair, skin, as well as the whole body! Do not hesitate or concern about anything!
These are 18 benefits of fenugreek seeds and leaves we would like to introduce to you. If you have any questions to ask, please raise your voice. We promise to answer all of your questions and give the best replication for your comments and feedbacks as soon as possible.
Related articles on spices and natural ingredients:
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 7 natural home remedies for canker sores in mouth
- Craig Orell’s how to recondition batteries at home review
- How to use apple cider vinegar for scalp? 12 best uses
- Foods to increase breast milk production naturally
- Easy potato recipes for breakfast and dinner
- How to grow long hair fast & naturally at home in 2 weeks
- Olive oil for face mask: top 13 effective facial masks
- Healthy bodybuilding & fat burning breakfast diet