Clogged nothing is good, especially a drain! It may be actually an irritating situation when you want to clean your bathroom or bathtub or kitchen and you find that it is clogged even after a fine routine of drain cleaning. If you’ve been using an available drain cleaner, you just be aware that they contain many chemicals and, of course, they’re not good for people who roam all around your home! Your hands and eyes have a higher risk while you clean a drain with these chemicals laden drain openers. Some certain acidic drain cleaners can even severely damage to the rubber or some other soft elements down the line. Both the bills of plumbers and ruined drain cables will hurt your wallet a lot! Therefore, how to clean a drain without putting pressure on both your pocket and health? Why not use a natural drain cleaner, that you may make with available ingredients in your kitchen and house!
In this writing, VKool will introduce to you 10 ways on how to unclog a drain naturally and effectively at home. This article listed the best ways to deal with this problem from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing of top 10 useful ways on how to unclog a drain naturally at home to understand more!
Top 11 Ways On How To Unclog A Drain Naturally At Home
1. Boiling Water
If your drain isn’t jammed with years of grime and dirt, the simple boiling water can also open your clogged drain. Just ensure that the drainage pipe is not a low-quality plastic or rubber that will melt itself whenever it contacts with the hot water.
Here are step-by-step directions on how to unclog a drain naturally at home:
- A big pot or a kettle of boiling water.
- Firstly, you take your pot or kettle whatever you’re using and pour boiling water into it until its neck or below it, somewhere that is comfortable for you to handle boiling water. The bottom line in this way is you need a lot of hot water.
- Then, you bring it to a boil.
- Next, you take this boiling water and pour 1/3 pot or kettle down your drain.
- Now, you wait for a few seconds, about 30 seconds and then you continue pouring another 1/3 of this hot water.
- After that, you wait for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Finally, you pour the remaining hot water down your drain.
2. Baking Soda, Vinegar, And Hot Water
This drain cleaning method uses the baking soda and common vinegar lying in the kitchen shelves. You can use them with a little hot water for cleaning a drain. Hot water and baking soda work together to loosen grimy sludge in the bottom of the clogged drain. When you add vinegar over baking soda, the fizzy reaction helps to clean the drain. Here is how you may use these kitchen ingredients in order to clean up your clogged drain.
There are two ways on how to unclog a drain naturally at home that you should follow!
Way 1: Use baking soda, vinegar, and hot water to unclog a drain
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 2 to 3 pots of hot water
- At first, you take 1 pot of hot water.
- Then, you pour it down the clogged drain.
- Now, you add the baking soda into the drain.
- Next, you wait for a few minutes.
- After that, you mix this vinegar with hot water (1 cup).
- Then, you pour this mixture on the top of baking soda.
- Now, you cover the drain with a plug and wait for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally, you pour 1 pot of hot water again into the drain. This cleans the drain completely.
Way 2: Use baking soda and vinegar to clean a bathtub drain
When you want to clean up your bathtub drain with this remedy using baking soda along with vinegar, the basic way remains the same. You only need to use the pressure of water that is filled into your bathtub. Here is how you may do so.
- 1/3 cup of baking soda
- 1/3 cup of vinegar
- Firstly, you mix baking soda with vinegar together. It will get fizzy immediately.
- Then, you pour this mixture into the drain without wasting a second.
- Next, you place the stopper over this drain and leave it for about 1 hour.
- Now, you fill the bathtub with clean water.
- Next, you remove the stopper from the drain.
- With the pressure of about sixty gallons, it will help to dislodge the dirt, which has been loosened by the mixture of vinegar and baking soda.
3. Salt, Hot Water, And Baking Soda
This is one of the best ways on how to unclog a drain naturally at home that you should not pass! However, if you do not have common vinegar at the moment or if the drain is not dirty, you may even use salt, hot water, and baking soda to clean up your clogged drain. The reaction of three certain chemicals is enough to dissolve the blockage.
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- Boiling hot water
- At first, you combine salt with baking soda together.
- Then, you pour this mixture into the clogged drain.
- Now, you leave it for half an hour.
- Finally, you pour boiling water into the drain.
Learn more: Beauty advantages of baking soda on your skin
4. Vinegar And Ice Cubes
Vinegar is a very good cleansing agent thanks to its mild acidic agent. Click To Tweet You may use it with some ice cubes to clean up the sinks with garbage disposals. Moreover, ice may chill and scrape off the grease on its wall quite effectively. You actually need to create some ice cubes mixed with common vinegar for this method to work.
Here are some simple guides on how to unclog a drain naturally at home:
- An ice cube tray
- At first, you fill this tray halfway with vinegar.
- Then, you top it with clean water because vinegar cannot freeze alone well.
- Next, you mark this tray properly so that your family members do not use it.
- Now, you place this tray into your freezer and allow it to become ice cubes.
- After that, you put the disposal on and then dump in the cubes.
- In fact, these mildly acidic ice cubes can clean up the disposal where ice water would literally chill and remove the grease on its walls.
5. Dish Detergent And Hot Water
A clogged sink drain in your kitchen is really a very irritating thing to handle. This one seems to be difficult to clean because of oil and some other greasy substances clogging your drain. However, there is a way out and it is an easy one, which is the humble dish detergent. If it may clean up your greasy and oily dishes, why cannot it clean up your drain?
Here are easy guides on how to unclog a drain naturally at home:
- 2 to 1 cup of dish detergent
- 1 to 2 pots of boiling hot water
- With a moderately clogged drain, you just use ½ cup of detergent and use 1 cup for for a stubbornly clogged one.
- Firstly, you pour the detergent into your drain and allow it to sit there for about half an hour.
- Then, you boil a pan of clean water and then pour this hot water into the drain steadily and slowly. Be careful while handling this hot water.
- After that, you pour a little normal water to see whether your drain has cleaned up or not.
- If required, you pour more hot water or you repeat the whole method with detergent along with hot water.
See more: the book of 3 week diet
6. Caustic Soda And Cold Water
In fact, drain openers contain many harmful chemicals and are also expensive. However, if the drain is blocked with oil grime, you cannot unclog the drain with warm water or some mild kitchen ingredients. Instead, you need to take the help of some chemicals. However, you can cut down on the cost by taking raw ingredients that are often used to produce commercial drain cleaners. One of them is caustic soda. It is a very strong alkaline and may easily dissolve with water. With this property, it’s used as a good cleaning agent for various industrial and household purposes. You need to caution when using it to unclog your drain because it may cause serious burns and some other injuries.
To learn another way on how to unclog a drain naturally at home, you can follow the way below!
- 3 cups of caustic soda
- 2 to 3 liters of cold water
- A mop bucket
- A wooden spoon
- Protective eye wear
- Rubber gloves
- Hot water
- At first, you wear your eye wear and rubber gloves.
- Then, you pour the water into the bucket.
- Next, you add the caustic soda into this.
- Now, you stir them well by using the wooden spoon. Never use your hands even if you’re wearing gloves.
- While stirring it, the solution becomes fizzy and heated up. Therefore, you keep your eyes, face, and other parts of your body at a very safe distance from this bucket.
- Now, you pour the prepared solution in the drain.
- After that, you leave it for half an hour.
- Finally, you flush your drain with a little hot water.
Warning: You can or cannot use this way because it isn’t a 100% safe remedy for unclogging a drain because of its potential harmful effects. The caustic soda is very corrosive and whenever exposed to the skin, it may lead to serious burns, scarring, blindness, or permanent injury. Therefore, if you use this remedy, you use good rubber gloves, eye protection, and take all precautions.
7. Wet-Dry Shop Vacuum
A shop vacuum may effectively clean not only dirt, dust, spills, and debris but also your clogged drains! Here is another way on how to unclog a drain that you can try!
- Firstly, you set up a vacuum for vacuuming liquid. Then, you remove the inside filters and bag.
- Next, you cover up the vent with a tape so that this does not create a mess.
- Now, you place the hose on your drain and turn on this shop vacuum. Nevertheless, when this vent is covered and it is quite tight, you ask someone else to put on the vacuum. It is far safer and easier.
- This vacuum will draw the grime up this water trap and into this vacuum.
8. Bent Wire Hanger
Way 1: Wire hanger
- Wire hanger
- Firstly, you straighten out your hanger.
- Then, you create a hook at the end of it.
- Now, you use the bent wire hanger that has a hook in order to pull out any grime and dirt including hair that gets stuck in your drain.
- While pulling the grime and dirt out, you don’t push it in. This may further clog your drain. You always pull the grime outwards and do not push it inwards.
Way 2: Clean a clogged bathtub drain with hair
This is considered as a common problem if your bathtub drain uses a screw in order to hold itself on. Here’re the steps to unclog a drain clogged with hair and other dirt. You may need to follow the first step to cleanse your drain or can have to do the steps below. All depends on how much as well as with what is a drain clogged!
- At first, you remove the cover of this drain and cleanse under the surface of this drain. Then, you remove hair and other dirty material that you see there. You can use your hands for this purpose or wear gloves.
- If the drain has pre-installed stoppers, you will have to pop up this stopper and then twist to unscrew it. Next, you remove the plate with a trip for this stopper and cautiously eliminate the stopper assembly.
- Now, you can use the above ‘bent hanger’ method to clean up the drain because it is perfect to remove hair and other things that get stuck to this stopper of your drain.
- After cleaning the drain, you replace the stopper or cover of your drain, which you had removed.
- Now, you use the drain claw to clean up your hair clogged drain. You should use the simple instrument at the moment you aware that the drain has slowed down. It will prevent the drain from being clogged. For this, you simply insert this drain claw into your drain and work your method around the stopper or opening while giving this a twist. Drain claw has many small interlocking hooks that can grab hair. When it is done, you can pull the claw out.
- In some cases, if you are more enthusiastic, you may make yourself a drain de-clogger by using a plastic bottle that lies somewhere around your home. To make a drain de-clogger, you should follow the next remedy.
9. Make A Drain De-clogging Tool With Recycled Plastic Bottle
Here are simple instructions on how to unclog a drain naturally at home with a drain de-clogger:
- Plastic bottle, preferably a 2-liter bottle
- A masking tape
- A sharp Knife
- A marker
- At first, you clean up your plastic bottle and eliminate its label. You must cut a long strip continuously out of this bottle.
- Then, you cut the newspaper out a 2-cm wide strip. This acts as a guide for this strip. This helps to maintain consistent width of this plastic strip.
- Next, you use the tape to stick this newspaper strip underneath the bottle. You leave enough space (5 to 6 inches) at the bottom of this bottle.
- Now, you wind the strip around this bottle but do not overlap the strip.
- After that, you use the marker to outline the width of this newspaper between the newspaper edges.
- As the newspaper strip isn’t long enough to mark this bottle, after you mark one section, you remove the guiding strip as well as move it upwards on this bottle. You line up the trips with the previous markings. You should keep on marking it until you reach the shoulder of this bottle.
- After marking this bottle, you need to cut the strip from this bottle. For this, you make an incision roundly the circumference of the bottle at its top where you’d stopped marking.
- To create the bottle, you should choose somewhat rigid so that it’s easier to cut, you stuff it with newspaper.
- Now, you cut along the spiral marked on your bottle. You do this until close to the bottom of this bottle. You will stop cutting when reaching near to the lower taper part of the bottom because this part must be used to create a ring-like handle.
- Now, you use the marker to draw a finger loop close to the point that you stopped cutting this bottle. You cut out the inside of this loop to make a handle that is used to pull out the dirt after you insert it into your drain.
- After that, you create small teeth along these edges of the plastic strip. The teeth should be lined in the same direction as you insert it into your drain.
- For making teeth, you use scissors and create small cuts along the edges of this strip at regular intervals. The teeth cuts shouldn’t be deep. Just make a sharp point
- After that, you gently bend each tooth in order to make it more effective.
- Now, you gently fold the plastic strip lengthwise to make a V-shape drain cleaner. When folding it, you make it rigid.
- Then, you cut the bottom in a sharp taper.
- Next, you insert this tapered end into the clogged drain. While doing this, you should hold the V-shape folded lengthwise close to your fingers until it reaches the clog.
- When it can reach the blocking material, you use the handle to pull this strip back up. It comes out capturing hair into the teeth you made.
- Now, you can clean your drain with a handmade device effectively.
- Finally, you insert the device again into your drain and repeat the same process until all the hair along with other dirt is removed.
How to prevent a clogged drain? This is a difficult question if you often struggle to unclog your drains in your house. The answer is that cleaning your drains regularly! Here is how you may prevent clogging of drains.
- You should lift up these pop-up stoppers in the bathroom sink for about once per week. You have to remove any debris in there and place it into the trash. Now, you rinse the stoppers and replace them in the drains.
- You should eliminate the drain cover of your bathtub or shower drain for once per week. You should brush and clear out the debris by using a bent wire or a hair catching.
- You have to clean your garbage disposal by using the sturdy disposer brush for about once per month. You can also grind up a few ice cubes and table salt in order to clean them. This cuts the grease and slimes the edges of this disposer. After that, you flush it out with a little water. You can put the juice of 1/2 lemon to deodorize it.
- You should clean your bathtub for at least one time per month. You eliminate the overflow plate and increase the pop-up assembly to reach the rocker arm or spring. You should remove any debris in there and wash it thoroughly and replace it just when you have removed it.
- You should put mesh screens over the drains in your home. They are especially good for your shower or bathtub drains because they may effectively catch food particles, hair, and other dirt.
If you want to know more about natural, home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main How To page. After reading the article of top 11 ways on how to unclog a drain naturally at home, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to deal with this problem naturally and quickly at home. If you have any question, or you know other ways on how to unclog a drain naturally at home, please leave them below.