Heel fissures or cracked feet are a common skin problem in people of different ages, caused by the lack of moisture.
Other triggers include using harsh soaps, standing for long hours, cold weather, being overweight, wearing improper footwear and continuous exposure to water. Conditions like psoriasis, eczema, diabetes and thyroid disease can also contribute to cracked feet.
Some of symptoms and signs of cracked feet are flaky or red patches, peeling skin, bleeding and itchiness from the pain and cracks.
For people with cracked feet, the winter is actually not their favorite season as their heel fissures will be more painful. Cracked feet look unattractive, and if untreated, this condition may lead to extreme pain and infection. Fortunately, this skin problem can be treated with some simple skin care and home remedies. Keep reading this article on VKool site to learn how to heal cracked feet at home fast.
How To Heal Cracked Feet At Home Fast – Top 10 Tips
Scrubbing your dead skin away can help a great deal in treating cracked feet. Before you scrub your heels, remember to soak the feet in warm or soapy water to soften your skin. This also helps in an easier scrub.
- Before you go to sleep, make some soapy water and put your feet into warm soapy water
- Next, soak the feet in the soapy water for 20 minutes
- While soaking, use a pumice stone to scrub dead skin cells off. Do it gently, avoid bleeding and redness
- Next, rinse off the feet with water. Pat dry with a towel
- Then, apply foot moisturizer or cream
- Wear a pair of cotton socks and start your sleep
- Follow this treatment regularly until your painful cracked feet are completely healed
Read on: Skintervention Guide
2. Coconut Oil
Next to tips on how to heal cracked feet at home fast, try using coconut oil. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer so that it is also beneficial for cracked and dry feet. Coconut oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties, hence it can help in fighting off bacterial and fungal infections.
- Before you go to bed, soak the feet in some warm water while scrubbing your heels with a loofah
- Next, dry the feet thoroughly
- Apply some coconut oil directly on the feet, especially the affected area
- Then, put on a pair of socks for a deep night’s sleep
- In the next morning, put off your socks, and wash the feet with warm water
- Follow this remedy daily for a few days until you see the results
In alternative way, if you don’t have coconut oil, make use of olive oil that can work the same for your condition.
Honey contains antibacterial and moisturizing properties that make it an excellent remedy for both cracked and dry heels.
- First, stir 1 cup of honey into 1/2 small bucket with warm water
- Soak the feet in the warm water for 20 minutes
- Then, gently scrub your feet
Follow the home remedies for cracked feet about 1 week and you will notice the improvement on your heels.
4. Mentholated Rub
Besides honey, you can scrub your cracked heels with essential oils like peppermint oil. Many essential oils contain antibacterial and moisturizing properties so that they can help in healing your toenail fungus.
- Take some mentholated rub and apply it on your clean dry feet before bedtime
- Next, put on a pair of clean cotton socks and go to sleep
- In the next morning, put off the socks, and wash the feet with a half of bucket of warm water.
- Repeat this treatment daily for several days until your rough skin peels off and your heels become soft again
Follow the treatment for cracked feet for about 1 to 2 weeks and you will see the result.
5. Paraffin Wax
Next to ways on how to heal cracked feet at home fast, try using paraffin wax to cure your cracked heels as well as remove the dead and dry skin on your feet. Paraffin wax also works as an excellent natural emollient for softening your skin while retaining natural oils on your feet.
- First, heat paraffin wax in a double-boiler or microwave
- Then, add equal amounts of coconut oil or mustard oil to it
- Apply the creamy paste of paraffin wax on your cracks
- Next, put on a pair of clean cotton socks before going to sleep
- In the next morning, wash the feet thoroughly with warm water
- Follow this treatment daily for about 2 weeks and you will see the results
Read on: Skin Care Tycoon
6. Glycerin & Lemon Juice
Thanks to humectant and moisturizing properties in glycerin, this can work like an awesome way on how to heal cracked feet at home fast.
- Prepare equal amounts of lemon juice and glycerin
- Mix them well, if needed, you can add a little rose water
- Apply the mixture on the feet, especially the affected heel areas
- Let it sit there for about 15 minutes, and then wash off with warm water
- Follow this treatment daily for 2 weeks
7. Vegetable Oil
When it comes to simple tips on how to heal cracked feet, many vegetable oils are beneficial for treating and preventing cracked heels. Among them, they include coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil and most other hydrogenated vegetable oils. To get the best result, use vegetable oil before you go to bed for fully penetrating your skin.
- Scrub the feet with warm water and then, wash them thoroughly
- Next, apply the vegetable oil on your soles and heels
- Put on your socks and go to sleep
- In the next morning, you will notice your softer heels
- Follow the remedy for several days until the heel cracks are completely gone
8. Rice Flour
Besides vegetable oil, you can make use of rice flour to exfoliate your feet as well as treat your cracked heels. Exfoliation can help remove the dead skin from your skin cracking and dryness while rice flour is used as a natural exfoliating scrub.
- To make this scrub for healing your cracked feet, mix a handful of rice flour with several tbsps of apple cider vinegar and honey. Mix them well until it forms a thick paste. If your heel cracking is extremely bad, you can add a tbsp of sweet almond oil or olive oil
- Next, soak the feet in ½ bucket of warm water for about 10 minutes, and then scrub your feet gently with the rice flour mixture.
Follow this treatment daily at least 1 week and you will notice your softer foot skin.
9. Indian Lilac
Next to ways on how to heal cracked feet at home fast, consider using Indian lilac. This herb is also known as neem or margosa leaves. It has fungicidal properties, so it is very beneficial in curing your cracked heels.
- First, crush a handful of neem leaves to have a fine paste
- Next, add 3 tsps of turmeric powder and mix them well
- Apply this paste on your heel cracks
- Let it sit there for at least 30 mins
- Finally, wash the feet with warm water, and pat dry with a towel
Follow this home remedies for cracked feet at least 1 week and you will see the results.
10. Warm Salt Water
Last but not least among tips on how to heal cracked feet at home fast, try warm salt water.
- Soak your feet in warm salt water for 15 minutes
- Next, put the feet in cold water that can help improve the blood circulation to the feet while relieving your pain
- Pat the feet dry, then apply some petroleum jelly and foot cream to lock in a moisture
To get the best results, wear a pair of clean socks to prevent or avoid added moisture from evaporation.
These are top 10 remedies and ways on how to heal cracked feet at home fast. Hope that you find some beneficial ways to get rid of your painful and embarrassing cracked heels. For any feedback on the writing, feel free to drop your comment at the end of the post.